Nicole's Reviews > Only Gossip Prospers

Only Gossip Prospers by Lorraine Tosiello

liked it

For as much as I love reading, especially reading classic literature and well written literature, you'd think I'd be a bigger fan of "Little Women." I have read it, but only once and I think I was probably too young because I found it boring. I did love the Winona Rider movie from the moment I saw it, and I have often thought I should read "Little Women" again. (I also love the movie of "The Inheritance," another Louisa May Alcott novel. But I've never read that book and feel I should.)

What does all of that have to do with this book - "Only Gossip Prospers"? Well, it's the reason this book gets 3 stars instead of 4 for me. It has nothing to do with the book, and everything to do with my experience. This book is beautifully written. The description and historical information is poetic and and scientific all at the same time. The characters are interesting, and their stories being presented as pieces in a bigger puzzle was intriguing; I wanted to know how it was all going to fit together and what the final takeaway would be with so much variety and almost randomness in happenings. The author does tie it all together believably and very satisfyingly. All the while painting a picture of Louisa May Alcott that is human and heroic. She was fascinating to me as a character even though the events and actions of the book were mostly mundane.

Unfortunately, because my personal interest in Louisa May Alcott and Little Women is low I didn't have the love for this book that it deserves. I don't know much about this period in history, particularly the history of New York, mostly because it hasn't been of high interest. I certainly know more after reading "Only Gossip Prospers," but my interest level hasn't really increased. That's all on me though. Just wasn't my cup of tea. However, with the new perspective this book gave me on Louisa May Alcott and on the societal and historical importance of "Little Women," I am very interested in reading Little Women again. I think I'm likely to enjoy it much more now that I'm more mature, but also because of the window "Only Gossip Prospers" gave me into how autobiographical "Little Women" is.

If you are already a Little Women fan, I imagine this is a book you don't want to miss. With the genius of the writing I bet it would feel as inviting as coming home for the holidays. If you are not a Little Women fan, or maybe aren't sure if you are, this book is informative, interesting, and worth reading so you can appreciate the easy and yet poetic prose. It may not have been a page turner for me, but it is impressive in its literary value.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Only Gossip Prospers.

Finished Reading