Catie Neace (Phantom Book Blog)'s Reviews > Songs of the Earth

Songs of the Earth by Elspeth Cooper

Apr 08, 2012

bookshelves: phantom-book-blog-reviews

Proclaimed witch, Gair, is about to be burned at the stake by the very church he has devoted his life to. Gair has the ability to "hear the song" (hence title, Songs of the Earth, keep up folks) and can thus manipulate powers around him. The thing about Gair though, he's incredibly strong. Saved by a little bit of bureaucratic magic, Gair is instead exiled and starts his new life/journey with the Guardians of the Veil. Sworn to protect the delicate fabric between worlds which is thinning perilously, Gair and the Guardians face both a powerful enemy in their plane, and the hungry creatures from beyond the veil.

For me, "Songs of the Earth" started off pretty slow, but I tend to like my fantasy to move at an exponential pace. (For those of you that are slightly mathematically challenged, see figure below.) The last 150 pages or so had me desperately craving this book when I was not reading it. Upon reading several reviews on GoodReads (Warning: reading a lot of reviews on GoodReads is bad for your health. It's pretty much like reading youtube comments at this point.) I saw that a lot of fantasy fans were disappointed by the use of repetitive, traditional fantasy canon (orphaned hero, rocky mentor/student relationship with deep secrets, etc.). I didn't feel that way while reading "Songs of the Earth". While I did feel as though I could predict the outcome of a few things, I usually accredit this to the fact that I read a lot. The only issue I have with this book is a huge spoiler, so I will keep it to myself ;) Definitely excited for the sequel!

Still in doubt? "Songs of the Earth" made the short list for the David Gemmel Morningstar award for best fantasy debut, not a small honour.

I also want to use this review to bring attention to the fact that the author herself, Elspeth Cooper, is quite possibly one of the most beautiful women writers to date. Not being a creeper, shes just crazy pretty.

9.5/10 stars! (docked it .5 a star for that spoilery thing I cant tell you about.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Songs of the Earth.

April 8, 2012 – Started Reading
page 321
April 12, 2012 – Finished Reading
April 16, 2012 – Shelved as: phantom-book-blog-reviews

message 1: by Marie (new) - added it

Marie You've convinced me to give this a try.