Kelly's Reviews > The Last Smile in Sunder City

The Last Smile in Sunder City by Luke Arnold

F 50x66

I first came to Luke Arnold as an actor on Black Sails.....amazing pirate show! When Goodreads sent me the Kindle Edition of The Last Smile in Sunder City, I couldn't wait to dive in. Boy oh boy, I was NOT disappointed! This review will be spoiler-free but I will give you a broad brush-stroke idea of it's story.

Enter Fetch Phillips - a flawed, alcoholic, anti-hero private detective, in other words, very "real". As with all detective novels, there's a mystery to be solved. But I won't get into that. What truly grabbed me and kept me interested from the very first sentence.....the meticulous world-building done by Mr. Arnold. You can feel the grit of Sunder City as Fetch conducts his investigation, you can smell the decay after the Coda and taste the desperation of Sunder's inhabitants. A truly amazing world to play in.

This noir style storytelling is very reminiscent of the masters Raymond Chandler and Dashiell Hammett. Though Sunder City is also a Fantasy novel, the fantasy elements serve to enhance the story, not drive it, and offer an intricate backdrop for Fetch to work within......

All in all, I LOVED the debut novel......and am really looking forward to the second installment!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Smile in Sunder City.

December 17, 2019 – Shelved