Meaghan D'Otazzo's Reviews > Never-DEAD

Never-DEAD by Ann Greyson

Belongs on the bookshelf of every reader with interest in science fiction.

First of all, the Prologue works extremely well to explain how the virus comes about in this story that follows the lives of sisters Hannah Winter and Jenna Winter, both real and believable characters. While Hannah is safely in an underground medical research facility, Jenna struggles to survive, find food and shelter while avoiding the zombies at every turn traveling from Texas to New Mexico, blotting out the horror of it all by smoking cigarette after cigarette, something Hannah doesn’t approve of, if she finds out.

It’s risky using two sisters to hold such a story together, making a major leap forward as a writer Ann Greyson makes it work with consummate skill and smooth energy, hitting you with surprising moments of wisecracking humor amidst the horror. What's very cool about Never-DEAD is lots of zombie-killin’ action and an ending like a Walt Disney movie. A must-read novel for some laughs and a good cry.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Never-DEAD.

Quotes Meaghan Liked

Ann Greyson
“She’d never physically hit anyone in her life, until now, because her survival required it. For a brief moment, she felt like she was in The Hunger Games.”

Ann Greyson
“she couldn’t help but feel resentment toward her ex-husband for leaving her for another woman. She didn’t envy this woman she’d never met, not in the slightest way possible. Rather she prayed to the god Shiva that Sam and his new bride were zombies. She didn’t care to find out either.”

Ann Greyson
“Seeing the zombie at the door shocked her, so much so that her right eye began to twitch a little.”

Ann Greyson
“I can’t help it. I just have no respect for the dead.”

Ann Greyson
“they slowly turned their heads to face her and their bodies followed after. They all turned around at the same time, but in slow motion. It was like something out of a horror movie. All the while, “Another Brick in the Wall, Pt. 2” by Pink Floyd was playing at a maximum volume on the stereo of the SUV.”

Ann Greyson
“Digging her hand into her pocket, she fished out the keys, and tossed them to him. It was not like she had a choice. She couldn’t wrestle the gun away from him. It might work for Jet Li in the movies, but it would not work for Jenna Winter in real life.”

Ann Greyson
“Was she turning into a geek? Maybe she already was one, or had been, and so could be again.”

Ann Greyson
“with this sudden outbreak spreading so rapidly, I question whether there was any truth to the doomsday prophecy that had been circulating all year. After all, the year was 2012, and it was very possible the world could end soon.”

Ann Greyson
“I was not prepared for this. I was just starting to get over the shock of singer and actress Whitney Houston being found dead of a drug overdose in the bathtub of a Beverly Hilton hotel room earlier this year.”

Ann Greyson
“I know I look good enough to eat, if I say so myself. Well, too bad for you. I am not on the menu.”

Ann Greyson
“Bang, you are dead. Oh, my mistake. You’re already dead.”

Ann Greyson
“The zombies only kill what they intend to eat. They’re not doing anything illegal. Cannibalism is not against the law!”

Ann Greyson
“What was truly beyond belief to her was the realization that if she got out of this alive, she would quit smoking cigarettes. In fact, she made a pact with herself. She would use this experience as motivation to stop smoking for the rest of her life. Probably not.”

Ann Greyson
“She hugged me tightly, crying on my shoulder. It was impossible not to feel for what she’d gone through. I tried to say something else, but when I opened my mouth to speak, nothing came out.”

Ann Greyson
“What if I wake up tomorrow and found myself living in a post-apocalyptic world where zombies outnumber the living? How could I carry on living if I was the last woman on earth? Maybe this was a lot worse than I thought earlier.”

Ann Greyson
“They are all demons. Jesus, did not raise them from the dead.”

Ann Greyson
“She had found the car abandoned in a parking lot. That was what she would tell them. She didn’t steal the car. And even worse, she had a gun. She didn’t steal that, either. No, she didn’t have a license to carry it. She found that, too.”

Ann Greyson
“Trying her best to control her emotions, Jenna wouldn’t let herself cry as she was escorted through the gate. When she was about ten feet away from the elevator, Chloe stopped, turned and told her to wait. Jenna sensed what was coming next, something she had waited a long time for.”

Ann Greyson
“As the Charger raced along, the speedometer was pushing sixty-five. And she kept driving fast until she made it out of the neighborhood safely. She liked the feel of the car, her first-time riding in a police car.”

Ann Greyson
“Looking at the corpses, she felt that principles had been lost. All that was left was the instinct to survive.”

Ann Greyson
“There is no way to know whether or not they have a soul. The infected were once like you and me. The virus has changed them. It is not their fault.”

Ann Greyson
“She’d seen death plenty of times before, she thought to herself. There was no need to fret. It was no big deal to her. Maybe she was becoming desensitized to it.”

December 10, 2019 – Started Reading