♥Rachel♥'s Reviews > Slammed

Slammed by Colleen Hoover

Apr 08, 2012

bookshelves: favorites
Read from May 18 to 19, 2012 — I own a copy

This was such a moving story! I couldn't put this down once I started reading.

Eighteen year-old Layken, or Lake, has just moved to Michigan from Texas. Her father has just died six months earlier and her mother moves them there because she gets a good job offer and they can no longer afford their house. Immediately after pulling up with the moving van, Lake meets the neighbor across the street, Will, and his little brother Caulder. He's a few years older than Lake, and in her eyes, "hot." Caulder and Lake's younger brother, Kel are fast friends, playing the minute Kel jumps out of the moving van. Lake is happy that at least this move won't suck for her little brother. Although things start looking up for Lake when Will asks her out on a date.

Will is so different from most guys and so forward. It shocks Lake a little. Their first date is different and in my opinion, amazing! He takes her to a poetry slam which before reading this, I had no idea what it was. It's where people get up in front of an audience and perform a piece of poetry they've written. It's not typical poetry, more like a soul-bearing piece, written and then performed. She's is mesmerized by the first performance and then when Will gets up and performs his, she's a goner! She is taken by him and falls hard, and fast. And he's fallen hard for her, too. Here's a quote from that night that gives me shivers: "Patience." he whispers. You don't think that's much? Wait until you read the scene! Lake discovers she has a lot in common with Will. Unfortunately straight after this date, they discover a block to their relationship and have to keep apart. Here's a heartbreaking quote for you:

"God Layken. How do you do it?" she says. "How do I do what?" I sniff as I continue to wipe the tears from my eyes. "How do you not fall in love with him?" The tears begin flowing just as quickly as they had ceased….."I don't not fall in love with him. I don't not fall in love with him a lot!"

Add to this, Lake's mom is all of a sudden leaving often for unexplained errands. As suddenly as things seemed to be falling in place, everything has fallen apart.

I can't tell you how much I loved this story. I connected so deeply with Lake and Will. I adored the little brothers, Caulder and Kel, and Lake's mom too (even though I was a little angry with her for some things). My heart was pulled in lots of different directions. The reason Lake and Will must stay apart is not Will's fault, but you can't help but blame and get mad at him for his actions. Even when you know you shouldn't. Lake writes and recites a poem and you're right there cheering her on. I know I'm being vague, but I seriously don't want to spoil this for any who haven't read it. This story pulls on all your heart strings! There's also a fair amount of humor in this story that lifts the mood in just the right places.

This was such a heartwarming story! I read the sequel straight after because I didn't want to let these character go! Don't let the fact that this is a self-published novel fool you. This was a truly amazing debut for Colleen Hoover. I'll definitely be reading whatever she writes next.

This review and more can be found on The Readers Den

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Slammed.

05/19/2012
10.0% "Laughed at this: "So...tell me about Will. Does he work? Is he in college? What is his major? Is he a serial killer?" She asks this with such sincerity."
19.0% "Wow! What a first date!!" 4 comments
25.0% "Well, that completely sucks! Poor Lake!" 4 comments
61.0% "Wow! This girl just doesn't get a break!" 4 comments
05/19/2012
62.0% "Omg! Why did she ignore it?!! Something could've been done!!"
03/08/2016 marked as: read

Lisa You will love this book! One of my favorites from this year!

♥Rachel♥ Thanks, Lisa! I just clicked over & saw your review. Wow, more than 5 stars. I look forward to it. :)

Lisa Point of Retreat is the sequel and it is just as good!

♥Rachel♥ Wow! I'm going to have to read this soon!

Jenn Rachel-I really can't wait to see what you think of this book. Arlene, myself and Brandie have now all declared it a 5 for GR but would totally give it a 10 if the site allowed. :o)

♥Rachel♥ I'll try to get to this soon. I have to put my SMC read on hold til I'm done with The Golden Lily because it's a tour book and I have to get it done soon. I really want to read this one ASAP. :)

Jenn I totally spaced that you were reading the 2nd BL book. :o) If you were reading the Monday book, you wouldn't be able to finish anything else as it's so dang long. lol I felt like I had gotten really far last night,then I look down and I barely got anywhere. HA! Are you liking book 2?? I'm thinking that was a dumb question..but just checking. :o)

♥Rachel♥ I'm liking it so far but I didn't get too far last night. I just got home from vacation late Sunday and had to go to work yesterday so when I got home I had to unpack and do laundry. Then I wrote a review and by the time I did all that it was 10pm!! I'm only to page 39 but tonight I plan on kicking some butt with the reading! :)

I'm going to pick up our SMC back up probably Wednesday or Thursday. Maybe get a little in at lunch since I didn't bring TGL to work. :)

Eunice Hi Rachel! How far are you? Just finished it and I loved it! It was great and really heartwarming. :))

♥Rachel♥ Oh Eunice, I loved it too. I finished last night and then read the second one right after, staying up til 5am to finish. Thank goodness it's Sunday. I have all day to recoup. :)

♥Rachel♥ I'm done Jenn. Loved both of them. I was crying so much with both of them! I cried the whole last 50% of the second book!! I couldn't stop until I found out what happened. Perfect. I want an epilogue STAT! :)

message 12: by Jenn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenn Rach- you stayed up ALL night and finished and then read book 2? LOL! I love it. That's what I do a lot. :o)

message 13: by Jenn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenn "Omg! Why did she ignore it?!! Something could've been done!!" I can't even remember what this was about..

message 14: by Jenn (last edited May 20, 2012 02:00PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenn I didn't cry in book 1 but I totally balled in book 2. There's a 3rd book coming out in Eddie's POV. (view spoiler) :o)

message 15: by Jenn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenn I love this from the author about her new car:
(view spoiler) This is in spoiler mode for those who haven't read book 2 yet..

♥Rachel♥ I didn't know we're getting more! So excited!

This: Omg! Why did she ignore it?!! Something could've been done! is because (view spoiler)

message 17: by Jenn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenn Ahhhhh yes! Now I get it. ;o) I was just looking at Colleen Hoovers website and it looks like she's writing another book. Not one for the Slammed series, but just another book in general ...so yay! Something else to look forward to by this author. Makes me Butterflyingly HAPPY! lol

♥Rachel♥ Yep, totally Butterflyingly happy! Can't wait. I loved Kiersten! Too smart for her own good. :)

message 19: by Jenn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenn She was a cutie!! I loved her even more in book 2. :o)

♥Rachel♥ Chanda it was sooo good! :)

message 21: by Jasprit (new) - added it

Jasprit I've been reading such fantastic reviews for this and now another one! You seriously know how to bump a book up my tbr pile with those amazing quotes! Fab review Rachel! :)

message 22: by Heidi (new)

Heidi It's wonderful that you connected so well with the characters, Rachel.

♥Rachel♥ Thank you Jasprit. I think you'll really like this one. I can't believe it was the author's debut. :)

Heidi, I hope you like it as much as I did if you pick it up. :)

message 24: by Heidi (new)

Heidi I was just looking it up for 2.99 I can't resist. I love finding great reads for under three bucks!

♥Rachel♥ I know! I love my kindle for that reason. That and the "buy it with one click" button, although that sort of gets me in trouble! I get a little trigger happy! :)

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko I totally get trigger happy with the one click button.

♥Rachel♥ At this rate JoJo, I'll be reading into the next year with all the books I have now! Lol!! Dangerous button! :)

message 28: by Jenn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenn I'm with you Rachel in the book department keeping me busy in to next year.

I'm definitely guilty of the trigger happy finger as well. Having a kindle is dangerous! lol Heck any e-reader for anyone is dangerous. Tooooo easy to say I. WANT. IT. NOW. :o)

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko My problem is if I buy books ahead of time I usually don't go back and read them. So I try and be careful only to buy when I am ready to read the book. For me one book is shinier than the next.

♥Rachel♥ It's so nice though to be able to buy it and read it in seconds. Especially for sequel books. When you get done with the first you can buy & read the second right away rather than having to go to the bookstore & buy it. :)

message 31: by Jenn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenn Yes that is nice, Rachel, to be able to have the sequel at click ready. Jo Jo I seem to have the same problem at times. I buy the book all geared up to read it and then it sits and waits. There are books I go back to and wish I hadn't let them sit for so long as they turned out to be a good read.

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko My problem is that I rarely go back and read them. then it is just a waste of money. You should see how many books I have on my bookshelf that I haven't read and most likely won't since I am not that into paranormal or ya anymore.

Sharlaine like like like it so much Rachel!!! Loved the review and the blog :) I'll definitely read any future works of Ms. Hoover too. For her debut, Slammed is really great. It's one of my favorites for this year.

♥Rachel♥ Thank you Sharlaine! I loved your review too! This one really got to me. I agree, it was really good especially for a debut. :)

message 35: by Eunice (last edited May 25, 2012 09:51AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Eunice Lovely review, Rachel. I was so moved by this book too! And the poems too - they were incredible and very compelling. :))

♥Rachel♥ Oh I agree Eunice! When Will took her to that slam & then performed his, I was totally mesmerized! Glad you loved this one too! I'll check for your review. :)

message 37: by Mimi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mimi Valentine This is the second time I've read your review, and it still makes me wonder why I passed up on reading this the first time around! Beautiful review, Rachel! It's those books where you fall in love with the characters that get you, isn't it? :') <3

♥Rachel♥ Aww, thanks Mimi! You're such a sweetheart. I just want to say thanks for you super sweet and lovely comments. I laughed when I saw what you said about these brothers being like little puppies you set up play dates for!

I did fall in love with these characters, Mimi. I loved it!! I could easily re-read these books again just thinking about the story.

message 39: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura I can’t wait to read this one, Rachel! I have heard wonderful things about it. Lovely review! I will definitely read it ASAP! Poetry makes my heart happy! :)

message 40: by Jenn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenn hmm check this: http://tabithabookblog.blogspot.com/2...
someone else's idea of Will. :o)

♥Rachel♥ Oh Jenn!! I approve of him for Will!! Yum! :)

message 42: by Jenn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenn I should pull up Colleens list of contenders and then show you the guy she likes. I'll do that in a little bit. :)

message 43: by Liz (new) - rated it 4 stars

Liz I love this book *sigh*
Gorgeous review, dear!!! <3

♥Rachel♥ Liz wrote: "I love this book *sigh*
Gorgeous review, dear!!! <3"

Thank you Liz. :)

message 45: by Amanda (new)

Amanda great review, rachel. i set my eye on this book to curb my recent YA binge.

♥Rachel♥ Amanda wrote: "great review, rachel. i set my eye on this book to curb my recent YA binge."

Thank you! I hope you love it as much as I did, Amanda! :)

message 47: by Hershey (new) - added it

Hershey Must read this soon! Awesome review, Rachel :)

♥Rachel♥ Hershey wrote: "Must read this soon! Awesome review, Rachel :)"

Thank you, Hershey! I loved this story. :)

message 49: by Mariam (new) - added it

Mariam Ah this book sounds great! Nice review! :)

♥Rachel♥ Mariam wrote: "Ah this book sounds great! Nice review! :)"

Thank you, Mariam! :)