Matt's Reviews > The Unlikely Disciple: A Sinner's Semester at America's Holiest University

The Unlikely Disciple by Kevin Roose

Apr 08, 2012

bookshelves: religion, nonfiction
Read from April 08 to 12, 2012

I really enjoyed this one. Roose, an agnostic-ish Quaker, decided to transfer to Jerry Falwell's ultra-conservative Liberty University for a semester.
The writing is so thoughtful and likable that it never feels schticky, and I genuinely enjoyed thinking through the clash of cultures. If most people at Liberty are really friendly and happy, does that make it a better place? Does it count if you're only friendly and happy to people that fit certain criteria (are straight, have a personal relationship with Jesus, etc.)? How do you run an academically serious university when the university believes it knows the right answer to all the questions (including whether the earth is actually anywhere close to as old as geologists know it is)?
Roose is a good guide and I was moved and intrigued by the book. A good companion to Daniel Radosh's Rapture Ready in exploring a different part of the culture in a thoughtful and thought-provoking way.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Unlikely Disciple.