Ari's Reviews > Nutmeg Street: Egyptian Secrets

Nutmeg Street by Sherrill  Joseph

it was ok
bookshelves: 2020-reads, netgalley-arc

Blog | Twitter | Instagram | Amazon | B&N

Thank you NetGalley and Acorn Publishing for this ARC. All thoughts and opinions are mine.

As an adult, I've done my best to make up for those pre-teen years when other readers were gorging themselves on stories of Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys (or other like-minded mysteries that to this day I am not as well versed in as I wish I were). I've done a fairly good job with the Nancy Drew books, have greatly enjoyed them for the sake of nostalgia, and have even become a huge fan of the PC games based on the series. Nutmeg Street: Egyptian Secrets brought back those same cozy and comfortable feels that I get whenever I pick up a Nancy Drew mystery.

Don't let the rating fool you, overall, I enjoyed the read. It's a cute mystery, with an adorable group of four young friends who go around solving cases on their parents' many travels and in their hometown. But the book was far too much like the Nancy Drew ones I've read, so much alike as a matter of fact that it was as if a template of it had been taken and the specifics altered to make it its own copy.

The story was fun to follow, but it was very simplistic. And the world around the characters is premised as a vibrant and lush setting but we barely get enough detail in it. Books for young readers can be as full and detailed as they are for adults—I think we're at a point in literature where this younger targeted audience is more than happy to become as engrossed in a heavier story as the more mature readers do.

All in all, for an easy and swift read, this is a good one to go with. Not a lot of time is spent dwelling on the culprit of the story and the mystery behind which he does what he does, but that's, again, very similar to past mysteries of of this book's ilk. Pick this one up and you will fly through it, and truly do get to meet an amusing and sweet bunch of kids who will take you on a merry little chase.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nutmeg Street.

December 16, 2019 – Shelved
December 16, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
January 7, 2020 – Started Reading
January 7, 2020 –
January 8, 2020 – Shelved as: 2020-reads
January 8, 2020 – Finished Reading
January 19, 2020 – Shelved as: netgalley-arc

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)

message 1: by Erin (last edited Jan 11, 2020 08:43AM) (new) - added it

Erin Great review, Ari! I loved the Nancy Drew books as a child but I haven't read any since I was about 14 years old (which was a long time ago :p). I'm going to reread a few of them this year, I think. I remember those comforting feels and want them back ^.^ I've played a little bit of one of the PC games on Steam (Curse of Blackmoor Manor) and I own a few others that I haven't got to yet. Thanks for reminding me!

message 2: by Ari (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ari Erin wrote: "Great review, Ari! I loved the Nancy Drew books as a child but I haven't read any since I was about 14 years old (which was a long time ago :p). I'm going to reread a few of them this year, I think..."

You're welcome for the reminder! And yes, do it, Erin! Even when I give her books seemingly low ratings, I have such a warm homey feeling with them. I can't explain it lol And Curse of Blackmoor Manor is my fave of the PC games! My best friend gifted me Midnight in Salem, the newest, and I am dying to play it :D

message 3: by Erin (last edited Jan 11, 2020 08:43AM) (new) - added it

Erin Ari wrote: "Erin wrote: "Great review, Ari! I loved the Nancy Drew books as a child but I haven't read any since I was about 14 years old (which was a long time ago :p). I'm going to reread a few of them this ..."

Sweet! I got stuck on a puzzle and haven't played since :p I'll have to pick it up again ^.^ And I wasn't aware of Midnight in Salem but I just added it to my Steam wish list :D

message 4: by Ari (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ari Erin wrote: "Ari wrote: "Erin wrote: "Great review, Ari! I loved the Nancy Drew books as a child but I haven't read any since I was about 14 years old (which was a long time ago :p). I'm going to reread a few o..."

Yay I hope you love it!

message 5: by Inkslinger (new)

Inkslinger Well said :)

message 6: by Ari (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ari Inkslinger wrote: "Well said :)"

My thanks! :D

message 7: by Inkslinger (new)

Inkslinger Welcome :)