Ellyn → Allonsythornraxx's Reviews > Rafe: A Buff Male Nanny

bookshelves: stars-3, romance

05/01/2020
3 ⭐
Buddy read with Destiny

So, this month my tbr was picked by Rebecca and one of the books she picked out for me to read was Rafe. And oh boy, I knew I was either going to love this or not care and unfortunately I've fallen on the side of not caring so much.

I loved Rafe as a character because he's a sweetie but cuteness only goes so far and unfortunately, he couldn't save his own book. Basically, this book had potential and talked about some really important topics, also the love interest is a black female surgeon (she's also a single mum!) and I really appreciated her perspective, her twin daughters are also biracial! So, there was a lot of different discussions going on - from big ones like how hard it is to be a single mum, to hair routines for 6 yr old girls! But, unfortunately, this book fell hella short.

Rafe is amazing and Sloan is a super interesting pov to read from + the kids were adorable but, they are really the only reason to read this book. What ruined the book for me was the pointless dialogue, the weird slang that I literally had no idea what it meant, a stupidly obvious and a rushed ending basically only written to sell the next book. Also, not as big of a deal as the weird writing but some scenes really took me out of the book - there's a scene at an airport and the resulting in the most unrealistic culmination of a plot point that I've read in a while and I was less than impressed by it. (view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rafe.

December 16, 2019 – Shelved
December 16, 2019 – Shelved as: lowkey-tbr
January 1, 2020 – Started Reading
January 2, 2020 –
10.0% "I'm not loving this so far but I'm interested to see how it goes"
January 4, 2020 – Shelved as: stars-3