Nicole's Reviews > My Side of the Mountain

My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George

Apr 08, 2012

bookshelves: fiction, juvenile, nature, adventure

The book that kicked off my survivalist tendencies as a kid. Holds up well though it does strike me as very unrealistic now that Sam doesn't have more bouts of loneliness or miss his family more. But, it is fiction folks!

Couple things: he garnered so much of his knowledge from the library, even mulling over a query overtly and coming to the conclusion that of course the library would have the answer...such different times as people would now go straight to the internet.

Contemplating the ease deer have in traversing the snow, Sam comments, "If I were to know that a million years from today my children's children's children were to live as I am in these mountains, I should marry me a wife with slender feet and begin to breed a race with hooves, that the Catskill children of the future might run through the snow and meadows and marshes as easily as the deer." Oh, boy.

"Let's face it, Thoreau. You can't live in America today and be quietly different. If you are going to be different, you are going to stand out, and people are going to hear about you...and you won't be different anymore."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Side of the Mountain.