Leah's Reviews > Ana on the Edge

Ana on the Edge by A.J. Sass

You can read my full review of the ARC on my blog: https://thereadingsofanenglishteacher...

Ana on the Edge is all about Ana-Marie Jin, a twelve-year-old who has just been crowned US Juvenile figure skating champion. Despite that fact, Ana has never been one to wear sparkly dresses--even during competitions. So when the next season's routine ends up being princess themed, Ana isn't really sure how to feel about it!

But then Ana meets Hayden, a transgender boy about the same age and when they become friends, begins to learn all about gender identity. Hayden mistakes Ana for a boy when they first meet and for some reason, Ana doesn't correct him. In fact, it feels nice not to be assumed to be a girl for once. But Ana begins to discover that it's difficult acting like one person in front of family and old friends and another in front of new friends. As the competition gets closer and closer, Ana's newly understood identity comes closer and closer to the light.

This book is really all about identity and coming to understand one's self. Especially for middle-grade readers, this can be a crucial time when they learn about their gender-identities, sexualities, things about their true characters. A lot of self-discovery happens as teens enter middle school and then high school. This is why this is EXACTLY the type of book that I want to have in my classroom library.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ana on the Edge.

December 15, 2019 – Shelved