Bryan Alexander's Reviews > VB6: Eat Vegan Before 6:00 to Lose Weight and Restore Your Health . . . for Good

VB6 by Mark Bittman

bookshelves: food

I came to this book on the recommendation of my new family doctor. I'd asked her about weight loss, and she insisted on heading towards a vegan diet.

VB6 has an interesting approach, compared with other vegan texts. It is about a part time diet, rather than a total transformation. You follow it from waking up until 6 pm, then can return to your carnivorous and dairy-chowing ways.

Some of the book is infrastructural, advising you on mental changes, how to shop, etc. Useful stuff.

The recipes look decent so far. I've tried a half dozen, modified for local conditions. Thanks to gut problems, I can't eat anything acidic (tomatoes). I also am supposed to cut down carbs (here: bread, rice, potatoes). And we have a family member afflicted with celiac, so that means avoiding gluten (wheat etc).

On the positive side, I'm enjoying experimenting with new dishes. It's good to get back into some food I used to make: corn tortillas, red beans and rice. And I don't meet 6 pm with ferocious hunger.

On the downside... the whole thing still feels joyless and punishing at worst. I can't escape experiencing this as medicinal or constrained. I don't feel better after eating one of these meals. The best I can say is that I feel full. Does this mean I'm missing recipes that would rock my world? Perhaps.

Which is all useful for me. As a futurist, I'm curious about the idea of shifting humanity towards a vegan diet. My experience is only an n of 1, but it's experience, not theory.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read VB6.

December 15, 2019 – Started Reading