M.H. Thaung's Reviews > Fogbound: Empire in Flames

Fogbound by Gareth  Clegg

This is a steampunk adventure set in London just after the Martian invasion (War of the Worlds) has been beaten back. However, there are lingering effects such as toxic fog and aggressive foliage. Ex-knight Simmons makes a living as a bounty hunter. He's asked to search for his missing god-daughter, and events grow increasingly complicated.

I very much enjoyed the setting and air of looming menace, and some very evocative descriptions. Most of the characters had hidden agendas, and I was never quite sure when an ally might turn into a backstabber.

I think the book would have benefited from another editing pass. Head-hopping meant that I was never quite sure who was thinking what. There were distractingly convoluted sentences, punctuation oddities and copious comma splices. Each time, I had to pause and re-read to check whether I had picked up the meaning. For example:
“Wha—” Bazalgette stammered, he stuttered making a series of croaks and clicks in his throat before turning and moving forward covering some distance to be alone with his embarrassment.

For my tastes, some of the descriptions felt belaboured, repetitive or over-explain-y. For example:
As he stopped at the corner, he held his hand up to his friend, hoping he’d recognise the universal signal to wait there.

Overall, an enjoyable adventure that holds promise for sequels.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fogbound.

Started Reading