Stephanie's Reviews > Dangerous Alliance: An Austentacious Romance

Dangerous Alliance by Jennieke Cohen

liked it
bookshelves: 2019, ya-fiction, young-adult, romance, retellings, popsugar-challenge-2020

I have been a longtime fan of Regency, Edwardian, and Georgian historical romances and because of this, I am always intrigued to read the latest young adult novel set during these time periods. Enter Dangerous Alliance one of the more recently published young adult book in one of these time periods. In the vein of Austen, this is a witty take on this genre, introducing us to Vicky, her sister Althea, and her neighbor Tom, among others. Vicky and Tom have been estranged since Tom was forced to leave England though Vicky never knew why. What reunites them is the attempt on Vicky's life that Tom thwarts, thus bringing the two back together.

I enjoyed the beginning and the ending, but the middle part lagged a bit as Cohen built up Tom's backstory and interweaved the mystery surrounding the attempts on Vicky's life. Despite this, it culminated into a solid conclusion. What I appreciated most about this book, however, is learning about the time period's philosophy on divorce, legal separation, and what it took to leave an abusive relationship. It is an unusual stance to discuss in young adult books set in this time period, introducing teen readers to the way marriage and divorce was viewed during this period.

I recommend this book to those readers who enjoy time period stories with strong relatable heroines and not so perfect heroes, with a bit of mystery and romance woven together. And while there were parts that lagged for me, I do look forward to reading more books by this author in the future as this was a solid debut.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dangerous Alliance.

December 14, 2019 – Shelved
February 3, 2020 – Started Reading
February 6, 2020 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Alicia (new)

Alicia I just got this in a box from JLG, I'll likely skip it for other books and definitely have kids who love those sweeping period stories!