TAS's Reviews > Brandon: Tudor Knight

Brandon by Tony Riches

it was ok
bookshelves: historical-fiction

I guess this series is NOT intended to be read consecutively. Because it appears wholesale chunks of copy have simply been lifted from #1 and stuck into #2. The only other time I had that experience was when I read a bunch of historical fiction by Jean Plaidy.

While I understand that when an author has worked hard to research and describe events -- it's tempting to repeat those chunks of narrative when you write about the same events in the future. But, personally, I felt a bit cheated, having to re-read material I had just been through in book #1.

I also have the same complaint with #2 as I referenced in my review of #1 (though I WILL NOT repeat what I wrote word-for-word in THAT review - for obvious reasons). Riches' writing is more a recitation of facts and events, with little emotional content or insight into the motivations of these historical figures.

I do plan to read book #3 about Charles' last wife - Katherine Willoughby. I'm hoping that since she and Charles were only married a few years before his death, this will be more a story about Katherine's life -- with fewer options to cut and paste.

My Advice: I think this series, if read, would be more enjoyable if the reader lets some time elapse between novels.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Brandon.

December 14, 2019 – Shelved
December 14, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
December 28, 2019 – Started Reading
December 30, 2019 – Finished Reading
December 31, 2019 – Shelved as: historical-fiction

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by TAS (new) - rated it 2 stars

TAS This is #2 in a three-book Tudor series about Charles Brandon, Duke of Suffolk and close friend of King Henry VIII.

My Advice: I think this series, if read, would work better if the reader lets some time elapse between novels.