Luna's Reviews > Hamlet

Hamlet by William Shakespeare

liked it
bookshelves: classic
Read 2 times. Last read March 10, 2020.

While I have read Shakespeare before, I have never read so many so quickly before. I am beginning to notice a few things I am not too keen on. Why is it that Shakespeare always wants to punish a woman for loving? I get it, it is the time period, but isn’t there something else you can try to write about? I know that love and loss are always great plot lines when it comes to plays, but his ideas are becoming a bit too repetitive for my personal liking.

This is a very dramatic play with quite a few deep feelings that many can relate too. The thing with this play is that they are very amplified. There is quite a bit of passion in this story. We have loss, revenge, anger, dishonor and quite a bit more. This truly is a sad play. You watch a young man in grief become more and more erratic and many around him begin to question if he is truly alright.

This is murder and death, accidental and planned. There are plots within plots. This play really has a lot going on. I just wish some of these characters just talked to one another and weren’t so impulsive, a lot could have been avoided. While I know that wouldn’t make such a tragic play, but I think it would have made a better story personally.

Also, without really spoiling anyone I had to reread a few times how the ghost says he dies… that is the most interesting cause of death I have ever heard.

Overall, I don’t regret reading this play. Did I love it? No. Was it my favorite? No. Did I absolutely hate it? No again. I did enjoy the creepiness and the exploration such deep feelings, even if they were exaggerated for the sake of the play. This was very average in my book.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hamlet.

December 13, 2019 – Shelved
December 13, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
March 10, 2020 – Started Reading
March 10, 2020 – Finished Reading
March 14, 2020 – Shelved as: classic
March 27, 2020 – Started Reading (Other Paperback Edition)
March 27, 2020 – Shelved (Other Paperback Edition)
March 27, 2020 –
page 108
24.88% (Other Paperback Edition)
March 27, 2020 –
page 133
30.65% (Other Paperback Edition)
March 27, 2020 – Finished Reading (Other Paperback Edition)