Lauren Stoolfire's Reviews > Fallen

Fallen by Lauren Kate

Apr 07, 2012

did not like it
bookshelves: young-adult, romance, fantasy, paranormal

I gave up after the first two chapters. I wondered if I should keep going but I just couldn't get into the story; I felt so bored.

The story up until when I left off: 1854, star-crossed lovers that can't be together do to her amnesia and swift death when she remembers him. Cut to the present, Luce is sent to a reform school for (possibly, but she can't remember for sure) roasting her boyfriend alive. There are some pretty rough students there that have apparently done much worse - Luce befriends the wrong sort and gets in a embarrassing and non-vegetarian friendly fight. Within the first few hours of arriving, she find she is developing feelings for Daniel, mysterious tall dark leather-clad bad boy jerk, and Cam, green-eyed flirty rocker guy (read: probably turns out to be a creepy jerk). By the way, Luce sometimes sees these shadowy monster things.

Yes, you read that correctly. Her last boyfriend died a gruesome death after being roasted in a fire that she may or may not have started (and she feels no guilt, shame, or anything, except for the sadness of when her mother had to cut off all her burned long hair) while they were together a month or two ago and she's already feeling the effects of a potential instalove triangle within the first few hours of beginning at reform school. I know she says she's not going to allow herself "to get all smitten," but I'm going to make a guess and say she does and we learn that her and Daniel (read: the jerk, also gives off a Patch from Hush, Hush vibe - I didn't like that book either) are the star-crossed lovers from 1854 since she does think he feels familiar in some way. Another prediction: the only reason the jerk is being a jerk is to prevent her death when she comes out of her amnesia and remembers him. I know there is the fantasy element of angels and demons, thousands of lives, etc. but I just don't can't get into it. Partly because I find it so predictable and boring with a pretty weak main character (read: shallow and self-centered, comes across as a little stupid, too), and that's the impression I got after only 63 pages.

No, thank you, Fallen, you just aren't for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fallen.

April 7, 2012 – Shelved
May 3, 2014 – Started Reading
May 4, 2014 – Shelved as: young-adult
May 4, 2014 – Shelved as: romance
May 4, 2014 – Shelved as: fantasy
May 4, 2014 – Shelved as: paranormal
May 4, 2014 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Roo (new)

Roo James I've been wanting to get into this series too for the sole fact that the covers are pretty. But everybody hates them. (not everybody but you know what I mean).
Sigh... I can't justify spending all that money on 4 hardcovers if I think I'm not gonna like the series...

Speaking of pretty cover 4 - book series'...Random question... have you read the Tiger's Curse series??

Lauren Stoolfire Roo wrote: "I've been wanting to get into this series too for the sole fact that the covers are pretty. But everybody hates them. (not everybody but you know what I mean).
Sigh... I can't justify spending all ..."

I know! The covers look great, but the content doesn't live up to it in the least. I can't figure out why on the cover Luce has long hair when it's actually very short (cut from the fire damage). Maybe that was explained in later in the story after I gave up on it.

I haven't read any of the Tiger's Curse books - yet - but they sound wonderful! They're on my to-read list! :)

message 3: by Roo (new)

Roo James Yes! We should definitely get on that series together. That's another series with zomg covers, but the reviews are actually good!

Lauren Stoolfire Roo wrote: "Yes! We should definitely get on that series together. That's another series with zomg covers, but the reviews are actually good!"

Agreed! And it's good to see those reviews! :)