Russell Atkinson's Reviews > Beyond the Hundredth Meridian: John Wesley Powell and the Second Opening of the West

Beyond the Hundredth Meridian by Wallace Stegner

liked it
Recommended for: American History buffs
Read 2 times. Last read December 13, 2019.

This is a biography of John Wesley Powell, a relatively unknown pioneering scientist and naturalist who was immensely important in the exploration and shaping of the western United States. Stegner's unbridled admiration for Powell damages the historical value of the book as he is unabashedly biased toward Powell's view of everything. He gives Powell credit for everything good, e.g. correct maps and descriptions, land use policies passed by Congress, pertaining to the region and vilifies all those who opposed him politically or scientifically, especially William Gilpin. Powell might be considered one of the first American environmentalists, but he was also very active in lobbying in Washington and held various positions there and had associations with the Smithsonian Institution and federal departments. Stegner writes well, so I don't really have any complaints on that score, but I am no history buff so I can't say I enjoyed the book. I read it only because it's a selection of my book club. Another factor that turned me off to it is the vituperative descriptions of the politics of the day. We have enough of that going on today.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beyond the Hundredth Meridian.

Finished Reading