Carrie Ardoin's Reviews > Awakening

Awakening by Karice Bolton

liked it
bookshelves: i-own-this, tour, on-my-kindle, posted-on-blog, angels

Ana is living a quiet life in snowy Whistler with her beloved dog, Matilda. The only thing wrong is the horrific nightmares she has. They have gotten so bad that she barely sleeps anymore.

One night, Ana meets the enigmatic Cyril, Arie, and devastatingly handsome Athen. She feels an instant connection with them that she can't explain, and soon she finds herself needing to be around them constantly. Then they explain to her the reason why she feels that way, and Ana's world is rocked. Because within her dreams lies the truth, and Athen must protect her at all costs.

I almost gave up on this books at first because...insta-love. But, I'm glad I didn't. The idea behind the plot is pretty good.

I found Ana a little annoying, honestly. When Athen, Arie, and Cyril tell her the truth about herself, she is just like, "What? Oh, OK." She didn't have too much disbelief. Also, the most unintentionally funny thing about this book was how she kept throwing herself at Athen and he kept denying her sex. She was shameless about it, and it was funny.

I feel like this book had both too much and not enough description. When the supernatural terms start flying around, they aren't really explained. But there are whole long paragraphs on the way houses look and the way hotels are decorated. I found myself glossing over several parts.

The action was sparse, but I feel like that happens often in first books of a series--they are mostly backstory. When the action did happen, it went by quickly and I wish there had been a bit more exposition.

So, why was the book worth reading? Well...Athen. SIGH. Who doesn't want a man that caters to your every whim before you even ask for it? Super sexy, thoughtful, and a powerful warrior? PERFECTION.
Also, I really did like the idea of "white demons" and everything that they encompass.

The book left me with several unanswered questions that I hope will be addressed in its' sequel. With most of the background story out of the way, hopefully now we can get down to some real action.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Awakening.

April 7, 2012 – Shelved