Jen (That's What I'm Talking About)'s Reviews > Heidi's Guide to Four Letter Words

Heidi's Guide to Four Letter Words by Tara Sivec

Heidi's Guide to Four Letter Words is the find of the year for me! Told from the first person POV of Heidi, we follow this twenty-something, laid-off kindergarten teacher as she learns to step outside her comfort zone, while she embraces all the things that make her Heidi. She lives in the same small Minnesota town as her parents; the same town where she grew up. Where everyone knows everyone and Heidi has always lived her life pleasing those around her. Taking a job for a romance audiobook recording company opens up Heidi's mind, and through a series of (sometimes drunk) podcasts, this small town girl grows into a confident woman.

First - I have NEVER laughed out loud so frequently and with such enthusiasm as I did listening to Heidi's Guide to Four Letter Words. Heidi’s awkwardness and lack of filter on her thoughts and words invite listeners to laugh along side of Heidi, who has an amazing sense of humor relating to her own life. Second - I love Heidi’s innocence. She’s kind and gentle, and never speaks up - she’s the girl her parents raised her to be. Watching her come unravelled when she hears a narrator read a sex scene - she's so flustered. It’s brilliant.

As the book moves more to the romance and away from Heidi’s self-growth, things get a bit more serious, but the story never loses its charm and humor. The story gets additional layers of emotion that fill my heart. And while things never get overly dramatic, they do get serious in a way only Heidi and her mom can pull off.

Narration: I absolutely love Andi Arndt's performance! She gets the slight Minnesota accents perfect: just a hint but not overly played up. Heidi’s voice is lovely. Ms. Arndt infuses it with so much emotion and captures Heidi's frantic and desperate grasp on her life. Ms. Arndt alters dialogue to fit each character's gender and age. Her males are slightly deeper. When I stop and listen to the individual voices, they aren’t super different, but yet they all work and are fitting.

Heidi's Guide to Four Letter Words is HILARIOUS and RIOTOUS storytelling. Yet sweet and tender when it needs to be. Things are crazy, but I never felt that the authors were making fun of Heidi. I love that Heidi learns to love herself. It’s a fabulous story and one of the best of the year.

My Ratings:
Story: A+
Narration: A

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heidi's Guide to Four Letter Words.

December 13, 2019 – Shelved