Leslie's Reviews > A Certain Slant of Light

A Certain Slant of Light by Laura Whitcomb

Apr 07, 2012

bookshelves: paranormal, ghosts, romance, favorites, historic
Read from April 15 to 19, 2012

What a difficult, beautiful and fascinating book. It wasn't riveting or necessarily suspenseful, although it was filled with incredibly unique descriptions from a ghost's point of view, that if I didn't know any better, I would sincerely believe the author actually spent time as one.

Helen is a ghost and for the first time in 130 years, human eyes are looking at her. Those eyes belong to a boy who has not seemed remarkable until now. Helen is terrified and also unnerved by the fact that he can see her; but she also finds herself incredibly intrigued. She is immediately drawn to him and discovers his name is, James. The fact that he is in a body and she is not presents this preposterous couple with their first challenge. Now, the two of them struggle to find a way to be together as they begin to discover the secrets of their former lives and also of the young people they come to possess.

If you're reading the synopsis of this story or even describing it to someone, it actually sounds a little "hokey." However, it works and on so many different levels - and is a story of forgiveness and ultimate healing for the dead and the living. The author intertwines modern-day dysfunction with 130 year old history, to develop a surreal yet difficult to imagine kindredship amoungst her hero and heroine; all the while making it believable. I did, however, wish Whitcomb had devoted more pages to the romance between Helen and James - but the time they did spend together was beautifully written.

This is not a "feel-good" story - it's unapologetically "heavy" and attempts to send a message. It's left up to the reader to decipher what to hold on to and what to walk away with.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Certain Slant of Light.

04/15/2012 "This better be good for it's $8 price!!" 4 comments
04/18/2012 "If I didn't know any better...I'd swear that this author did time as a ghost! Her descriptions about being one are brilliant - yet in a removed sort of way. Facinating!" 2 comments
04/18/2012 "Just heard that Dick Clark passed away...God bless him." 5 comments
02/04/2016 marked as: read

Comments (showing 1-32)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Leslie So far, beautifully written. Lots of the h's history including lovely and dark descriptions...

Karla I hope your enjoying this, the ending is so good, and all your questions WILL be answered.

Leslie Karla wrote: "I hope your enjoying this, the ending is so good, and all your questions WILL be answered."

Oh, Karla...I am loving this book so far!!

message 29: by Kelly (new)

Kelly This book sounds great, Leslie. I hope I get a chance to read it.
BTW I ordered Fifty Shades in pb.
Can't wait (jumping up and down -even at 6 am!!!)

Leslie Kelly wrote: "This book sounds great, Leslie. I hope I get a chance to read it.
BTW I ordered Fifty Shades in pb.
Can't wait (jumping up and down -even at 6 am!!!)"

Ha, ha, Kelly!! I hear you, it's 5:42 in the morning here and I'm giddy for you! You'll like it...at least I think you will! I've noticed most people like it way better than "Knight!" I also saw that you're reading "La Luxure!" Can't wai to hear how you like it! It's definitely a surprise...

message 27: by Baba (new)

Baba  Great review, Leslie! You already know this one is not for me but I like the cover! :-)

Leslie Thank you, Baba! I like the cover, too! I wish MORE cover's were this great! HA HA! Yes, I know this isn't your cuppa, but it was good and it made me think...which is exactly what the author wanted! ;)

Karla Wonderful review Leslie and I'm glad that you "got" the book! Helen and James kept questioning why they couldn't move on and I think they got their answer through their connection to Jenny and Billy! They are going to have a book too, and I can't wait to read it!

message 24: by Leslie (last edited Apr 19, 2012 08:27AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leslie Thank you, Karla!! Yes, I completely agree with you and am DELIGHTED to know there's a 2nd book coming out! As you know, Billy and Jenny have some "splainin'" to do... ;)

Leslie This song by Christina Perri is perfect for both Helen and Jenny...

Karla Leslie wrote: "This song by Christina Perri is perfect for both Helen and Jenny...

Beautiful Leslie...you're right it's perfect!

Leslie Thank you, Karla....I thought it was! :)

message 20: by Kristen (new) - added it

Kristen Great review, Leslie. This book looks good.

Leslie Thanks, Kristen! It WAS really good! (And different...and you know me, I have to have that!) Not your typical ghost story and so well written! :)

message 18: by Kristen (new) - added it

Kristen Karla and I were just talking about this book the other day. You reminded me with the repost of your review, to move it up on my TBR list. :) It's so easy to forget the books you really want to read. Lol.

Leslie Oh, Kristen, it's so different...and by now, you know I have to have that. I love experiencing new ways to approach romance...and this one is unbelievably lovely. :)

Leslie Sorry, I sound like a flipping broken record with the "different" word!

message 15: by ~ Becs ~ (new)

~ Becs ~ Great review Leslie - I bought this book for my teenage daughter thinking it was kind of Twilightish and very PG. She only confessed about a year after she read it that it is very adult! Doh!

Leslie "Doh!!" that cracked me up, Becs!! It is pretty adult, I have to admit, but not in a KA or EL James kind of way, if that's any comfort to you. It's a great book..you should read it!

message 13: by ~ Becs ~ (new)

~ Becs ~ Thanks - maybe I will one day. Her copy is a paperback and I really only ever read e-books these days. Maybe I could read it in the bath!

Leslie Becs wrote: "Thanks - maybe I will one day. Her copy is a paperback and I really only ever read e-books these days. Maybe I could read it in the bath!"

Lordy girl, have you SEEN the cover of the book, or we're you just razzin' me??

message 11: by ~ Becs ~ (new)

~ Becs ~ Oh - no, hadn't spotted that. Lol!!

Leslie Which makes it even funnier!! Bwahahahaha!! :D

message 9: by Kristen (new) - added it

Kristen Hey Leslie. Do you have a twitter?

Leslie No, I don't, why?

message 7: by Kristen (new) - added it

Kristen I'm just looking for GR friends who have a twitter because if they have a twitter and they sync their GR reviews to their twitter, it makes it easier to know when someone has posted a review.

Leslie Ahh, gotcha!! I have FB, but don't associate it with GR. Mostly because some of the things I read would be frowned upon by "some" of my friends...dang it!! (like Fifty Shades.) Haven't delved into the Twitter world as of yet. ;)

message 5: by Kristen (new) - added it

Kristen Leslie wrote: "Ahh, gotcha!! I have FB, but don't associate it with GR. Mostly because some of the things I read would be frowned upon by "some" of my friends...dang it!! (like Fifty Shades.) Haven't delved in..."

I totally understand that! I think most people I know would be shocked with some of the books I read. Everyone knows I read romance books, not many know I read erotica too. If you decide to get a twitter one day, let me know.

Leslie I sure will, girl! I figured with FB, GR email, texting...I was covered with the social venue, ha!! Although, I'm sure Twitter will enter y realm one day, and I will have to succome! ;)

Kristin (KC) Awesome review, Leslie! Sounds very intriguing...

Rebecca Espinoza Great review, Leslie. :0)

Leslie Thanks, Rebecca!! It's a great book!! ;)