Cat's Reviews > Me

Me by Elton John

F 50x66

it was ok

I remember his album with Your Song came out, I was maybe 12-13. Took my babysitting money and bought it and thought it was fabulous. A few years later, I was wondering, "What gives with the weird costumes???" Still no real answer to that. best I can figure, he was hiding behind the costumes. Anyway, I enjoyed some of his music back in the 70's. I thought his career pretty well dried up after that. Nope, he was still around. Hobnobbin' with the royals and still doing concerts, though, really, I can't think of more than one or two songs over 35 years. I figured the book would be interesting, as I had watched the Rocket Man movie recently (Did Taupin REALLY tell John people love his songs?? Sure he wrote the MUSIC, but the lyrics?? Really?? And his first wife telling him how she felt his songs were so personable?? She should have fell in love with Bernie!)) . Movie was entertaining only for it's songs and costumes, too melodramatic otherwise. The books really no better. Ego? Of course. Self-centered? Naturally. Anything new under the sun? Nope. I had hoped for a bit more about the music, but he totally missed that bit. So, now he's on his farewell tours as he wants to be home with his sons. Well, shouldn't he have been home with them all this time? They are nearly grown! Personally, I think parenthood was just on his bucket list, but not seriously considered. How do raise kids while running around the planet avoiding them? Nary a word about the kids either. I'd pass on the book if you're only interested in hearing his his songs occasionally. This really is for the diehard fan.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Me.

November, 2019 – Started Reading