Jena Henry's Reviews > The Museum of Second Chances

The Museum of Second Chances by A.E.  Warren

This dystopian science fiction book is centered around an astounding question- “What happens when the future recaptures the past?” The story blends well-developed and appealing characters with an interesting plot centered on genetic engineering. I wish I could visit the post-apocalyptic world showcased in the novel.

While this book may be directed toward YA readers, I easily became immersed in the world presented in this story. The book is thought-provoking as it asks us, “What does it mean to be ‘human’?

I don’t want to give away too much of the plot, because it’s fresh and original. After a world-altering viral pandemic, genetic engineering was the means to recharge the population. Now, there are different levels of humans, based on engineered traits. Elise is a Sapiens. There are levels below and above her. As an example of the fascinating detail in the book, Sapiens like Elise, have two syllable names. The group below Elise has one syllable names, if they have names at all. Groups above Elise have three and four syllable names.

When Elise leaves her sheltered family home and takes a job at the Museum of Evolution, her world and ideas change. Perhaps there is more to life and relationships than genetic engineering?

This is the first book in a planned series, and I know I will be reading more! This part ended in a dramatic and thrilling way. Thanks to the author and Rachel’s Random Resources for a review copy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Museum of Second Chances.

Finished Reading