Melissa McShane's Reviews > Exit Strategy

Exit Strategy by Martha Wells

bookshelves: favorites, action-adventure, artificial-intelligence, science-fiction, own

This fourth Murderbot novella is possibly the best of the lot. Let's just take a minute to digest that. Four books in a series, each better than the last, all of them wonderful. Series don't always manage that.

So I did read this back to back with Rogue Protocol and it was an intense experience. For me, what made it great is that it's the natural end point for events that started in All Systems Red, which is to say that we're back with Dr. Mensah and some of the others Murderbot considers its crew. I loved getting to see the humans again, particularly Mensah, who I just love. She is passionate about her work and justice and doing what's right, but she also makes mistakes. And she's smart, which is nice to see, and I appreciate that almost as much as Murderbot does.

This story is a straight-up thriller, and it moves like one. I cannot imagine this being a novel because it would give readers a seizure from how fast it moves. I love how Murderbot thinks like a security-minded person and is always (until the end) a few steps ahead of the enemy. It reminds me of Jane Whitefield from the Thomas Perry novels (starting with Vanishing Act), another character I think is great.

And, of course, the ending: (view spoiler)

Now, of course, I have to wait with everyone else for the release of the novel. I have my suspicions about what it will be about--suspicions only, because much of the action of the series so far is wrapped up here. But I am certain it will be as good as these novellas. (I preordered it. And I will not wait two years before reading it.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Exit Strategy.

Started Reading