CaseyTheCanadianLesbrarian's Reviews > The Gospel of Breaking

The Gospel of Breaking by Jillian Christmas

bookshelves: black, canadian, own, poetry, queer, reading-in-colour, vancouver, 5-stars

An amazing and beautiful collection of poems. They very much feel like their roots are in slam poetry but they totally work on the page. Inventive lyricism and images that go straight to your heart and gut. Like: "What dainty fish-hooks have danced in your heart / dangling the whimpering shadow of which sadness / what tiny worries." The poems are alternately sad, sexy, funny, and angry. There were many times when I gasped out loud and just sat in awe.

Read my full review here.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gospel of Breaking.

December 10, 2019 – Shelved
December 10, 2019 – Shelved as: queer
April 1, 2020 – Started Reading
April 1, 2020 –
page 9
11.25% ""how will we know it [a body of pleasure / collective knowledge delight] / unless we go searching through / the roughness of being alive""
April 1, 2020 –
page 25
31.25% ""strange and volatile thing .... breath / always escaping the place it is most needed""
April 3, 2020 –
page 42
52.5% ""I will love you there / and under the covers ... and every place in between / until your bones can remember that no space built / between lovers like us ... is ever as impossible / to cross ... as it may seem""
April 3, 2020 –
page 51
63.75% ""what dainty fish-hooks have danced in your heart / dangling the whimpering shadow of which sadness / what tiny worries""
April 4, 2020 –
page 58
72.5% ""The promise of possibility is a trap that has kept me from the joys of my own life""
April 4, 2020 –
page 72
90.0% ""Sit awhile and let / your voice loosen the fisted hands of every clock do not / hold your words tight remember, first, that love is not a lock / it is a liberating thing""
April 4, 2020 – Finished Reading