Emily's Reviews > True Crime

True Crime by Samantha Kolesnik

12065550

True Crime is Samantha Kolesnik's debut novella, and I'm glad that I picked it up. It's grim, haunting, and well-written. I am not going to make a flat-out comparison to Jack Ketchum's writing in The Girl Next Door, but Samantha's has a similar quality in that she can write about terrible and horrendous things, but still have heart in the story.

Suzy, the main character, is kind of a monster, and yet I still felt for her. She is layered, and there's more to her than the being a murderer, and the bad things that have happened to her. She is still a likeable character (she loves dogs!). I appreciate the depth of this character within this short book.

There were a couple small aspects of the storyline that were a little confusing, and I wish they would have been more fleshed out, but it still worked out well enough as a complete story. As usual, I could have done without the animal stuff in this story, but I knew what I was getting into with this one.

This story is very bleak, and it's more on the side of extreme horror, so just be prepared if you read it. True Crime is a difficult and uncomfortable read, but it's very good, and I'm looking forward to seeing what Samantha Kolesnik does next.

CW - sexual abuse, animal cruelty, child abuse, termination of pregnancy, rape

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read True Crime.

December 10, 2019 – Shelved