Adam Shields's Reviews > A Brief History of the Doctrine of the Trinity in the Early Church

A Brief History of the Doctrine of the Trinity in the Early C... by Franz Dünzl

Apr 06, 2012

Read from April 01 to 07, 2012

Short Review: I wish this were a cheaper book, because I would buy several copies and give them away. My main takeaway is that Doctrine is the attempt to speak of God faithfully to our culture, but it is limited to the tools that are available to our language, philosophy and culture. The Trinity was an attempt to communicate something that the early church knew was real, but even now we do not fully have the language and philosophical system to really communicate the reality of God. This gives a good background on both the philosophical issues, the cultural struggle, the political reality and the theological issues of the early church. I highly recommend picking up a copy if you can find a cheap copy somewhere.

It is a translated book (originally written in German) and even though it is written to be accessible, the issues still will require some struggle to understand and read.

My full review is on my blog at http://bookwi.se/the-doctrine-of-the-...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Brief History of the Doctrine of the Trinity in the Early Church.