Juli's Reviews > The Little Bookshop on the Seine

The Little Bookshop on the Seine by Rebecca Raisin

liked it
bookshelves: netgalley-arcs

I would like to thank NetGalley, the publisher and the author for my advanced copy of this novel in exchange for an honest review.

Sarah is happy with her man, Ridge, … or is she? She works in her quaint bookshop in Connecticut while he is busy traveling the world chasing one news story after another. Too much time in between visits? Too many excuses? In comes an offer Sarah can’t refuse – swap bookshops with a friend in Paris. Think the movie, The Holiday, but with your business. Will that bring her closer to Ridge? Will that get her out of the rut she has gotten herself into?

I really enjoyed Sarah’s character. I admired that this story takes place after she found her man (Side note: come to find out this is the second book in a series but does really well as a stand-alone. In fact, I don’t care a bit about reading the development of Ridge and Sarah’s romance aka book #1). I adored everything Paris – the bookshop history, the bookshop characters, and reminiscing of visiting all the places myself as Sarah frequents them. I absolutely hated Ridge. What a tool! The book gets 3 stars solely because of him. The romance between the two just wasn’t believable. Sarah tremendously grew as a person through her journey in Paris and any girl in her shoes would’ve given Ridge the boot a long time ago. This novel could’ve had a much stronger (and unique message for the romance genre) had the author tweaked Sarah’s story just slightly.

All in all, this was a very enjoyable read with an interesting heroine and a cute plot. Sadly, the predictive and seemingly contradictive ending to the protagonist’s own change makes this book just a fluff read rather than an impactful novel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Little Bookshop on the Seine.

December 9, 2019 – Shelved