Chelsea Humphrey's Reviews > Girl, Serpent, Thorn

Girl, Serpent, Thorn by Melissa Bashardoust

47207032

bookshelves: from-publisher, netgalley
Recommended to Chelsea by: Flatiron Books

"I am both the Sleeping Beauty and the enchanted castle; the princess drowses in the castle of her flesh."
-Angela Carter, Vampirella

As someone who is new to Melissa Bashardoust's novels, I can't really say how this novel compares to her previous one, but what I can say is that Girl, Serpent, Thorn is a delightful breath of fresh air in the YA fantasy genre. I'm always on the search for fairytale retellings that incorporate non-Western stories, and this Persian inspired spin on "the poisonous girl in the garden" was truly incredible.

description

It's really hard to touch on the plot, aside from what is shared in the synopsis, because there were many twists and turns that I wasn't expecting across the length of the book. Let's just say that secrets abound and characters can't always be trusted. Your emotions will be tested, not only by the (sort of) love triangle, but by Soraya's inner battles with the affliction that holds her. I cannot imagine not being able to touch or be touched by another soul, and I was intrigued by the physical and mental consequences that this brought on our main character. I think I'm going to stop here, and leave it up to you to decide if you'd like to read this story for yourself, but I'm really glad to have read this one, and I'm very interested in going back and picking up Girls Made of Snow and Glass while waiting for whatever she decides to write next.

*Many thanks to the publisher for providing my review copy via NetGalley.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Girl, Serpent, Thorn.

Finished Reading
December 9, 2019 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)

Aoife - Bookish_Babbling Book snake 📚🐍
🎉

Chelsea Humphrey Aoife - Bookish_Babbling wrote: "Book snake 📚🐍
🎉"

It's our new book logo! Haha

Aoife - Bookish_Babbling There are deffo worse things to have on covers...i still cringe at so many romance books and can 100% admit that the new tendancy towards cute illustrated covers brought me back to the genre 🤩

Chelsea Humphrey Aoife - Bookish_Babbling wrote: "There are deffo worse things to have on covers...i still cringe at so many romance books and can 100% admit that the new tendancy towards cute illustrated covers brought me back to the genre 🤩"

You and me both sister! Bahahahahah

Aoife - Bookish_Babbling There are so many books that sound interesting but then when I see the cover & being the superficial snob that I am wind up going NOPE

I mean really publishers, I know there is a saying not to judge a book by its cover but dudes...make it harder for us to walk away from 😂

Chelsea Humphrey Aoife - Bookish_Babbling wrote: "There are so many books that sound interesting but then when I see the cover & being the superficial snob that I am wind up going NOPE

I mean really publishers, I know there is a saying not to jud..."

Preach it, sister! 👏👏👏

Mel (Epic Reading) I love snakes and am loving seeing them on so many covers lately!!

Chelsea Humphrey Mel (Epic Reading) wrote: "I love snakes and am loving seeing them on so many covers lately!!"

So true! I love it! And the white here is truly gorgeous. XO

Traci Chelsea, your post on this book made me all the more excited I am that I won an ARC!

Chelsea Humphrey Traci wrote: "Chelsea, your post on this book made me all the more excited I am that I won an ARC!"

YAY!!! i hope you love it Traci!

message 11: by Rachel (new) - added it

Rachel My two cents on the cover debate: I want to see a return to covers expressly related to the content of the book. It is exciting when you don't understand the connection elements of the cover art have to the content of the novel and then you experience their reveal one by one as you read through the story. I always felt like I was a sleuth picking through clues on what the cover could tell me about the story. Hopefully publishers will craft significance in their published cover designs from graphic artists and authors communicating about the story in the future.

Chelsea Humphrey Rachel wrote: "My two cents on the cover debate: I want to see a return to covers expressly related to the content of the book. It is exciting when you don't understand the connection elements of the cover art ha..."

I understand where you're coming from!

message 13: by Ann Marie (new) - added it

Ann Marie Look on you are soooo luckyyyy! I'm jealous lol but I'm a good way!👍 stay safe

message 14: by Ann Marie (new) - added it

Ann Marie *omg I did not type "Look on"....and "in a good way not im" My keyboard is crazy. I really need to read before I hit send!

Chelsea Humphrey Ann Marie wrote: "Look on you are soooo luckyyyy! I'm jealous lol but I'm a good way!👍 stay safe"

I'm so sorry I'm just seeing this girl! Thank you for your sweet comment. Hope you're doing well and staying safe also!

message 16: by Ann Marie (new) - added it

Ann Marie That's okay Chelsea is rather you didn't see all those typos lol! I'm doing okay. Reading Long Bright River now. I like it. So far! I'm a little late reading it. I have sooo many books to review and it's sooo hard lately. My mom's not well. But other than that, thank you. I'm ok. Glad your well. Love all your reviews!