Otis Chandler's Reviews > Think and Grow Rich

Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill

bookshelves: self-improvement, nonfiction, business, favorites
Recommended to Otis by: Gerald Chamales

This is the best self help book any entrepreneur could ever read. Perhaps the only one they need to. Truly transformative. I have it on audio too and listen to it at the gym often.

Napoleon Hill was tasked by Andrew Carnegie to write a book on what made a successful person succeed, and he spent 20 years researching and interviewing every great name of the day (Ford, Woolworth, Edison, etc), plus lots of people who failed (because you have to know what doesn't work too). This book is the result.

It basically hammers home a single point, over and over again. Success comes from knowing what you want to achieve and having a burning desire to achieve it.

"The starting point of all achievements is desire. Keep this constantly in mind. Weak desire brings weak results, just as a small fire makes a small amount of heat."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Think and Grow Rich.

Quotes Otis Liked

Napoleon Hill
“Before success comes in any man’s life, he is sure to meet with much temporary defeat, and, perhaps, some failure. When defeat overtakes a man, the easiest and most logical thing to do is to quit. That is exactly what the majority of men do. More than five hundred of the most successful men this country has ever known told the author their greatest success came just one step beyond the point at which defeat had overtaken them.”
Napoleon Hill, Think and Grow Rich: The Landmark Bestseller Now Revised and Updated for the 21st Century

Napoleon Hill
“Set your mind on a definite goal and observe how quickly the world stands aside to let you pass.”

Napoleon Hill
“The starting point of all achievement is DESIRE. Keep this constantly in mind. Weak desire brings weak results, just as a small fire makes a small amount of heat.”

July 14, 2007 – Shelved
November 2, 2009 – Shelved as: self-improvement
November 2, 2009 – Shelved as: nonfiction
November 2, 2009 – Shelved as: business
November 2, 2009 –
page 100
28.99% "Amazing book so far. "Burning desire for riches". Successful people are dreamers."
November 10, 2009 –
page 150
43.48% "Amazing story about Schwab and Carnegie and US Steel. An idea can create value!"
November 22, 2009 –
page 50
14.49% "To be successful you have to be willing to burn all bridges behind you."
November 22, 2009 –
page 52
15.07% "Every great leader is a dreamer."
December 18, 2009 –
page 142
41.16% "Every successful person has learned to harness the power of sex and love"
December 18, 2009 –
page 142
Started Reading
July 25, 2012 – Finished Reading
May 8, 2014 – Shelved as: favorites

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

message 1: by Bhumi (new)

Bhumi Yup. Carnegie was an extremely interesting, successful person...although controversial in some matters as well.

message 2: by John (new) - added it

John Otis ... this book was around when I was in high school ... 40 years ago ... a timeless classic

Roberta Nicole I love this read and you comments ! You are right a person just has to stay focused on their burning desire and take bold action.

message 4: by Andre (new) - added it

Andre Ewert I have heard that this book was greatly edited after its writing to make it essentially useless. Guys like Henry Ford opposed release of the maconic principles exposed, fearing that , if everybody came to apply the principles exposed, he would no longer find workers for his factories. So , it is. The watered down version that is available today essentially cripples the initial purpose and intent to free Humans from drudgery and mind enslavement. Most people fail to attract anything substantial because of the repeated conditioning, limiting beliefs and sense of helplessness which act like a foot on the break in a car.

Gabriel Pinkus It seems that every successful business person I have ever met or known has read this wonderful book. I come on to Goodreads to see who else loves the book (it has changed my life. I reread it often. I follow his instructions).

Of course the second five-star review on Goodreads is by the founder himself!!!

I would not be wasting my time if I read this book ten times.