Jenny (Reading Envy)'s Reviews > Mostly Dead Things

Mostly Dead Things by Kristen Arnett

liked it
bookshelves: read2020, audiobook, hoopla, location-usa-florida, around-the-usa

This is a good read for people who like Florida weirdness. Jessa has been working with her father, apprenticing at his taxidermy shop, when he takes his own life. She tries to keep the shop going while her family falls apart - her brother, who had a child with her high school girlfriend, and her mother who has taken to creating sexualized sculptures with some of the taxidermied animals. Deeper are themes of grief, connection, siblings, and art.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mostly Dead Things.

December 8, 2019 – Shelved
January 7, 2020 – Shelved as: audiobook
January 7, 2020 – Shelved as: hoopla
January 7, 2020 – Shelved as: location-usa-florida
January 7, 2020 – Shelved as: around-the-usa

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Canadian (new)

Canadian Is there a form of weirdness that’s unique to Florida? I haven’t read many novels set there.

Jenny (Reading Envy) Canadian wrote: "Is there a form of weirdness that’s unique to Florida? I haven’t read many novels set there."

Oh yeah, totally. :)
Here is one person's persepective.

message 3: by Canadian (new)

Canadian Jenny (Reading Envy) wrote: "Canadian wrote: "Is there a form of weirdness that’s unique to Florida? I haven’t read many novels set there."

Oh yeah, totally. :)
Here is one person's persepective."

Wow, you're not kidding. I had no idea! (I've never been, but my brother and his family go often. (The description of the driving sounds a bit like Quebec, though, which is also a place apart.) Reading the article I was reminded that I had read Edward Bloor's y/a novel from some years back: Tangerine. Some weirdness certainly showed up in that. Thanks for the link, Jenny. I enjoyed the read!
Re: Mostly Dead Things
I know I do not want to read about mostly dead things, nor about taxidermy either for that matter!

Jenny (Reading Envy) Canadian wrote: "Jenny (Reading Envy) wrote: "Canadian wrote: "Is there a form of weirdness that’s unique to Florida? I haven’t read many novels set there."

Oh yeah, totally. :)
Here is one person's persepective."..."

One novel I started and one day want to finish is Shadow Country, about the outlaw feel of some of the panhandle.