Lydia LaPutka's Reviews > Quirky Kids: Understanding and Helping Your Child Who Doesn't Fit In- When to Worry and When Not to Worry

Quirky Kids by Eileen Costello

F 50x66
Apr 06, 2012

Read from April 06 to May 07, 2012

After 7 years of teaching kindergarten, I have had my share of quirky kids in my classroom, believe me! The statistics for autism are increasing which means we are seeing it more and more at school these days. It seems like I get a quirky kid every year! This year I have two!

I actually chanced upon this book when I was searching at the library on the bookshelves for a book about queen bees. Yes, I have those, too, in kindergarten! When the title captured my eye, I grabbed it! I need any resource that might help me with my students!

This book was very helpful and one I may be able to suggest to parents in the future. The difficulty of that is that it is tricky subject matter. "Are you calling my kid quirky?!" What's interesting is that the book opened with the word eccentricities right away. I had been using that word when describing one of my student's behaviors to his parents. They wholeheartedly agreed. So I suppose I could work that angle! But many parents are in complete denial or, due to their own quirkiness, just don't see it. Or don't see it as a problem. In that case, it would be hard to recommend this book!

I was glad the book addressed the fact that children like this often fall prey to bullies. That's something that does needs to be addressed. Early intervention would be helpful to teach social skills and coping skills which may perhaps lessen some of the quirky behaviors or prevent them from becoming full-blown oddities.

It was also surprising to relate many of the behaviors to my own son. He was difficult throughout his childhood and teens. Only once did a doctor comment that he might be on the autistic spectrum. I still wonder . . .

The book is well written and comprehensive. I would have liked to read more about how to work with quirky kids in the classroom, but that was not the authors' goal. Also, they are pediatricians and parents, not educators, so that makes sense. I know there are some good books out there about Aspergers. Now that summer is approaching, maybe I will have time to find one and read it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Quirky Kids.