Michael Laine's Reviews > Another Roadside Attraction

Another Roadside Attraction by Tom Robbins

Apr 06, 2012

Recommended to Michael by: Mr. Strosnider, 11th Grade English
Read 4 times. Last read April 1, 2012 to April 6, 2012.

I told @Tracy how I first started reading Tom Robbins and why. But that was just the beginning. I’ve now read 9 of his 10 novels. I realized as I was re-reading this for the 4th time that I don’t read “Another Roadside Attraction” for the story; I read it for the one-liners of truth, joy, and insight on how to be a better human being.

I bought the book at a hospital-fundraising book sale for 50 cents. Perhaps I’ve never gotten such a great value in my life. On this particular trip – during Lent – through the mind of Robbins, I was reading a book about stealing the hidden-away Corpse of Jesus Christ … That fact started out as an accident, and over the course of reading became profound. I finished it on Good Friday.

Here’s an excerpt of one of my 30 dog-eared pages:

“You’ve risked your life, but what else have you ever risked? Have you ever risked disapproval? Have you risked economic security? Have you ever risked a belief. I see nothing particularly courageous in risking one’s life. So you lose it, you go to your hero’s heaven and everything’s milk and honey ‘til the end of time. Right? You get your reward and suffer no earthy consequences. That’s not courage. Real courage is risking something you have to keep on living with, real courage is risking something that might force you to rethink your thoughts and suffer change and stretch consciousness. Real courage is risking ones clichés.”

I think this book – and all of Tom’s larger than life or death characters – ask you to identify and articulate what you believe. I’m saddened by how rarely that happens. I’m bothered by how few people (I know) that can succinctly describe what matters to them. What matters to you?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Another Roadside Attraction.

Tracy Stewart I absolutely love Tom Robbins....my favorite is Skinny Legs and All

Michael Laine I read this book the first time, in highschool. I had a teach that passed out a list of 'banned books' that the school district thought was too controversial. He offered extra credit for anything we read from the list... I don't think I did ANY work in that class from the assigned reading. I think I made my entire grade off of this banned book list.

Tom Robbins is my all-time favorite author. I met him once at a book signing, and have a signed copy of Jitterbug Perfume.

Tracy Stewart How funny! I love Robbins work and Jitterbug Perfume is one of my favorites!