Old-Barbarossa's Reviews > Louise de La Vallière

Louise de La Vallière by Alexandre Dumas

Aug 21, 2008

liked it

This review is for the whole of VdB or 10YL.
So OK, it’s split into 3 books in English, I read the Oxford translations as they were the only ones I could find.
Not Dumas at his best, but still very good in parts. The start and ending being standout points for me. The portrayal of our old friends and their changed, and at times strained, relationships.
The whole second book though is like a high-school farce with folk falling for each other or being spurned; conversations overheard/misheard; social one-upmanship. Some of the problems I had with this can be put down to the editions (mid 1800s translation) and the notes (dull and fairly repetitive data about streets and then without warning spoilers). But at times you know Dumas is being paid by the line. The dialogue can go on for pages and nothing gets said. Very frustrating.
Frustrating? How so?
Do you want me to tell you?
Please do.
I shall.
Go on then.
Soon, soon.
When you are ready you must explain.
I shall...etc, etc, etc.
The last part of the saga, is nothing like I expected. Sad, noble, a portrait of how friendships change and age and sorrow come to us all. A bittersweet endnote.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Louise de La Vallière.

03/13/2009 "Reading all of 10 Years After (or Vicomte de Bragelonne) in order."