✿Alyssa✿'s Reviews > Take This Regret

liked it
bookshelves: 3-star
Read in March, 2012

This review was posted at My Secret Romance

To sum it up: There are some mistakes we make, that we will regret for the rest of our lives. For Christian, it was the day he betrayed Elizabeth.

Christian Davison has a plan for his life- He’s determined to become an attorney and to one day take his place as partner in his father’s law firm. Nothing will stand in his way, not even Elizabeth Ayers, and their unborn child.

After Christian cuts her from his life, Elizabeth spends the next five years struggling to provide for her daughter, and willing to sacrifice anything to give her child a safe and comfortable life.

For five years, Christian has regretted the day he walked away from his family, and will do anything to win them back, just as Elizabeth will do anything to protect her daughter from the certain heartache she believes that Christian will bring upon them.

When Christian wrestles his way into their lives, Elizabeth is faced with asking herself if it’s possible to forgive someone when they’ve committed the unforgivable, and if it’s possible to find a love after it’s been buried in years of hate. ...Or are there some wounds that go so deep, that they can never be healed?

I've heard great things about Amy Lichtenhan and after reading this book, I can see why- This was the first novel that I’ve read by her and it definitely won’t be my last. Going into this story, I didn’t think that I would really be able to relate or connect to any of the characters since I don’t have children of my own, and have never experienced anything that even closely resembles what these characters went through- But boy, was I wrong. Amy Lichtenhan is unbelievably talented and she definitely pulled some emotion from me while reading this novel.

This book takes you on a journey of heartache and healing, and there were times throughout this story when I thought that Elizabeth would never overcome her pain and unwillingness to trust Christian. But at the same time, I could understand her need to feel that she had to protect her daughter and not ever give Christian the opportunity to hurt her, like he'd hurt Elizabeth in the past. In my opinion, that's really when Christian evolved into a true hero- He refused to give up and just disappear, and was absolutely determined to be a part of his daughter's life. He not only said he was sorry, but lived and showed it, and truly made me believe it.

The raw emotions of Elizabeth and Christian are so realistic, and my heart ached for both of these characters. I wanted to comfort Elizabeth, and be her shoulder to cry on. I wanted to take away Christian’s guilt from the past and the pain it caused for his future. And I wanted to do anything in the world to fight and protect Lizzie, as well as keep her from hurting. I’m a big fan of emotion, pain, and angst when it comes to my romance novels- And this book definitely didn’t let me down. This story will take you on an emotional ride, as two people who belong together struggle to right the wrongs of the past.

A.L. Jackson has a gifted ability to put flawed, yet likable characters into difficult situations, and bring them through the trials they face in life in such an emotional and moving way. This book is filled with turmoil, and a lot of ups and downs- But it truly makes you believe in second chances, and how love really can overcome mistakes of the past.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Take This Regret.

message 1: by Anna (new)

Anna Your review was glowing...so why only three stars?

✿Alyssa✿ Gosh! It's been so long since I've read this book Anna that I can't quite remember much about it! Although I did like the story... I just didn't love it. At times I felt pretty bored as well, which is why over-all this was just an okay read to me. When I look back on my review, it does seem like I loved it though- LOL :) I should probably do another re-read and see if there's anything else I could elaborate on as to why I didn't give it a higher rating!

message 3: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Great review, Alyssa. :)

✿Alyssa✿ Thank you so much Lisa! :)

message 5: by Anna (new)

Anna Alright - thanks for replying! The plot does seem a bit cliche, and I skimmed a chapter...the writing isn't anything too special either.

message 6: by ✿Alyssa✿ (last edited Jun 03, 2013 05:03PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

✿Alyssa✿ Anna wrote: "Alright - thanks for replying! The plot does seem a bit cliche, and I skimmed a chapter...the writing isn't anything too special either."

I've actually read one other book by this author which I really didn't like so unfortunately I officially avoid any other books by her now. :(