Ferdy's Reviews > Wicked as They Come

Wicked as They Come by Delilah S. Dawson

it was ok

After three years of being in an a abusive relationship, Tish Everett is free and happy. Tish is finally putting the pieces of her life back together, she spends most of her time looking after her grandmother and working as a nurse. The book begins with Tish at an estate sale of one of her former patients. Tish discovers an old locket at the sale and is stunned to find herself drawn to the man pictured in the locket. Tish wears the locket that very same night, when she awakens Tish learns that she's travelled to an alternative world called Sang, filled with coppers, bludmen, carnivals and magicians.
She is welcomed by a Mr Criminy Stain, a bludman who informs a confused Tish that he is her soulmate and that his locket bought her to him. In the world of Sang, the bludmen who unsuprisingly need to feed on human blood are persecuted by the coppers - the human law enforcement. On sleeping, Tish travels back and forth between the two worlds, Tish is torn between going home to her gradmother and her growing feelings for Criminy. When Tish's locket is stolen, Tish is devestated to be trapped in Criminy's world. Criminy and Tish have to avoid the coppers when they set off to find her locket so she can return home to her grandmother.
I enjoyed the worldbuilding - it was rich, colourful and lush. The world of Sang had a Victorian, steampunk, clockwork type vibe going on ..which I loved. There were quite a few interesting side characters that bought the carnival side of the story to life, unfortunately little time is spent on these characters. The hero, Criminy was devilish, loyal and protective. I liked that even though he was the master of his carnival, he wasn't rich, all knowing and all powerful. I'm beginning to dislike heroes who have it all - they're the richest, most powerful, most feared, most broody, most alpha..blah blah blah..if they're described as so indestructable how do they manage to get themselves in danger all the time and how do they fail to protect the people they love??
Moving on, the main problems I had with this book is the unremarkable storyline, the uninteresting/boring heroine and the ending that leaves a few questions. There was nothing bad about Tish really, but she was just so dull and flat - I really couldn't understand what Criminy saw in her. Her reaction to finding out she was in a different world filled with vampire-like creatures and animals was underwhelming..it was like she just found out it was going to rain. For some unknown reason, Tish randomly develops psychic powers when she's in Sang, it isn't explained where she got her powers or why she didn't have it or even a hint of in her own world..it just seemed to be thrown in because it was convenient to the story and so Tish could seem speshul.
People who are in coma end up in Sang, which is basically meant to be a mirror of Earth. Tish ends up in alternate England because the locket sent her to her soulmate who is in alternate England. What baffled me was that Tish came across a few people that were in a coma in America of her world, yet it's never explained why they randomly turned up in alternate England instead of alternate America.
I didn't enjoy the storyline, like a lot of books I've recently read, a large bulk of the book is just the main characters travelling from point A to B to C..I tend to find long winded journeys in books to be unimaginative and lazy writing. The ending left a lot to be desired, if I'm going to read a PNR book I want a proper HEA not an ending that leaves me thinking what exactly happened. I need it written out, I don't want an ending that's left to my own imagination..if that's what I get there's no point even buying the book when I can just make up my own bloody story.
There is a sequel focused on a different couple, I won't be reading the next book unless it's got a lot of rave reviews.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wicked as They Come.

April 6, 2012 – Started Reading
April 6, 2012 – Shelved
April 7, 2012 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)

message 1: by Sarah Mac (new)

Sarah Mac I've just started this one (6 pages in) but I'm already getting annoyed with it. Don't think I'll even update GR to my dislike -- I'll just get rid of it & delete. I got it a few years ago; by the time I picked it up yesterday, I was supremely disinterested in the premise. (And I can't deny anything vaguely steampunk or PNR has a loooong climb to impress me these days.)

Ferdy Sarah wrote: "I've just started this one (6 pages in) but I'm already getting annoyed with it. Don't think I'll even update GR to my dislike -- I'll just get rid of it & delete. I got it a few years ago; by th..."

I can barely remember reading this one, all I remember thinking was that it was weird. You've not missed out on anything by getting rid.

message 3: by Sarah Mac (new)

Sarah Mac The writing annoyed me (just dropping everyone in the book without any sense of character, which is criminal for first-person POV) & the MC was another annoyingly bland placeholder type with the added bonus of abusive relationship history to contend with. So much >____< face.

*tosses aside*

Ferdy Sounds about right. The covers pretty awesome, in that it's so bad, it's kind of good way.

message 5: by Sarah Mac (new)

Sarah Mac Heh. Yeah, the tacky cover is the least of its problems. :D

Ferdy I bet it got a few people all hot and bothered though. Not me, of course :P

message 7: by Sarah Mac (new)

Sarah Mac I'm sure it did -- at least 2 reviews mentioned that they actually LIKED the guy on the cover. *snerk*

Ferdy Haha, I grand total of two, those cover guys sure do know their audience.

message 9: by Sarah Mac (new)

Sarah Mac LOL. I was watching Jerry Springer's dating show (total guilty pleasure, that one :P) & they actually had a guy who was a body model for a bunch of those cheesy romantic covers. He showed his abs. Guy was really cut, but a complete jackass. :P

Ferdy Sounds about right, I think you'd have to be a complete jackass to actually do a job like that :D

message 11: by Abra (new) - rated it 2 stars

Abra You are spot on about this book. I should have loved it, but just didn't. When I got 5/6 of the way through and nothing was even close to being settled, I knew I was going to be disappointed with the ending. This one was just too open ended for me. I also agree with you about quest plots - they are usually very boring.

Ferdy Abra wrote: "You are spot on about this book. I should have loved it, but just didn't. When I got 5/6 of the way through and nothing was even close to being settled, I knew I was going to be disappointed with t..."

Heh, I don't remember much about the book, just something about a rabbit and the fact that I didn't like it - I don't think I read any of the other books in the series.