Bettie☯'s Reviews > The Mystery of the Yellow Room

The Mystery of the Yellow Room by Gaston Leroux

Apr 06, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: published-1907, spring-2012, mystery-thriller, fradio, radio-4x, classic
Read from April 13 to 15, 2012

** spoiler alert ** Bettie's Books

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mystery of the Yellow Room.

Laura I decided to read the e-book version in French in order to check translations problems as pointed out by Hayes.

message 2: by Bettie☯ (last edited Apr 12, 2012 04:31PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bettie☯ Laura wrote: "I decided to read the e-book version in French in order to check translations problems as pointed out by Hayes."

Had marked this no way josé after your review Hayes's review, however seeing as BBC is flinging it at us in a one hour slot, I thought 'why not give it a bash'.

Well done with your text-proofing; is that for Gutenberg?

Laura No, the French version is from Feedbooks. I'm going to compare with Gutenberg's one afterwards.

Laura I just finished chapter 2, so far so good.

message 5: by Bettie☯ (last edited Apr 13, 2012 02:33AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bettie☯ Laura wrote: "I just finished chapter 2, so far so good."

You are a goodun Laura.

It is an important evolutionary link to the modern murder/mystery genre. But Heart of Darkness was a 'to-something' too.

I'll just wait until I have listened, that's best...
;OP

Laura this book is a page tuner, it's hard to put it down even if there are some investigation issues.

Laura Hayes is not the first one to complain about the bad translation to English from French authors. I one checked a Dumas book which Misfit wasn't so happy with the work of translation.

Bettie☯ Laura wrote: "Hayes is not the first one to complain about the bad translation to English from French authors. I one checked a Dumas book which Misfit wasn't so happy with the work of translation."

with your comments duly noted, I am now really looking forward to this locked-room mystery.

BTW - I am totally smitten with Vainglory. It is a big fat family epic starting out with Joan of Arc and the Dauphin's defeat of the English.

Brilliant writing style - totally at odds with the crap she churned out for youngsters.

message 9: by Kim (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kim Laura, I also wrote this off after Hayes' review, but I'll read it in French if you think it's worth the effort to download.

Laura Kim wrote: "Laura, I also wrote this off after Hayes' review, but I'll read it in French if you think it's worth the effort to download."

I'm at the final part of the book, I'll let you know. But I do like Leroux's style of writing.

Laura I think you'll enjoy it specially if you would be able to read it in French. This series promises to be good...

Laura glad you liked it Bettie, I'm planning to continue to read this series, promises to be a good reading.

Bettie☯ Laura wrote: "glad you liked it Bettie, I'm planning to continue to read this series, promises to be a good reading."

Oh! is this part of a series. *runs off to have a gander at the goods*

Laura it seems they are 8 books in this series, it's just the beginning. And I'm half-way to the Poldark series and planning to start Les Rougon-Macquart , by Zola, which has only 18 books!!!

Bettie☯ Laura wrote: "it seems they are 8 books in this series, it's just the beginning. And I'm half-way to the Poldark series and planning to start Les Rougon-Macquart , by Zola, which has only 18 books!!!"

Got a little tired of Poldark... it happens *shrugs*

Am not a completist, so many series get laid to one side

However...

Zola YES!!

I was blown away with Germinal. What a tale told in heart-wrenching expertise.

Laura Another good reason to start Les Rougon-Macquart....

Bettie☯ Laura wrote: "Another good reason to start Les Rougon-Macquart...."

It would be good if you could list the read order for Zola as you work through then I can see what is available in my zone.

I hope you will love it allxx

Laura I don't remember who published this material here at GR but I found quite interesting:

Publication order:
Le Ventre de Paris (1873)
La Conquête de Plassans (1874)
La Faute de l'Abbé Mouret (1875)
Son Excellence Eugène Rougon (1876)
L'Assommoir (1877)*
Une Page d'amour (1878)
Nana (1880)*
Pot-Bouille (1882)
Au Bonheur des Dames (1883)
La Joie de vivre (1884)
La Débâcle (1892)
Le Docteur Pascal (1893)

A recommended reading order:
La Fortune des Rougon (1871)
Son Excellence Eugène Rougon (1876)
L'Argent (1891)
Le Rêve (1888)
La Conquête de Plassans (1874)
Pot-Bouille (1882)
Au Bonheur des Dames (1883)
La Faute de l'Abbé Mouret (1875)
Une Page d'amour (1878)
Nana (1880)*
La Terre (1887)
La Débâcle (1892)
Le Docteur Pascal (1893)

Bettie☯ Laura wrote: "I don't remember who published this material here at GR but I found quite interesting:

Publication order:
La Conquête de Pl..."

You are a gem ! Thank you

Laura varsagod!!

Bettie☯ Laura wrote: "varsagod!!"

tack attack