Laura's Reviews > The Assassin and the Pirate Lord

Apr 06, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: fantasy, ebook, novellas
Read on May 05, 2012 — I own a copy

*This review mentions things from Throne of Glass, and therefore things that may spoil the following novellas, but since I haven't read them yet, I'm not sure*

Very interesting. The Celaena Sardothien I came to know first in Throne of Glass has been torn down as a slave in Endovier, but the Celaena in this prequel novella hasn't experienced that yet. As a result, she's got an annoying arrogance and immaturity that is a little bit annoying in this novella. It was interesting to see how she was as an assassin, although, again, I'm kind of wondering when we'll get to see her actually, you know, assassinate someone. I'm quite certain she didn't become the best assassin in the land without getting her hands dirty. It would have been interesting if Maas had taken us even further back in Celaena's past to her assassin training and on actual jobs.

Being a novella, this was a bit too short to get much character development or much insight into the world. I don't know if I had read this first if it would have intrigued me enough to continue on, but since I already know what comes after, this novella filled in some interesting blanks in Celaen's past. I'll definifely read the next three to see how this arrogant 16 year-old becomes the Celaena in Throne of Glass (who still has her share of arrogance, but is less annoying about it).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Assassin and the Pirate Lord.