Kiwi's Reviews > The Woman Who Rides Like a Man

The Woman Who Rides Like a Man by Tamora Pierce

liked it
bookshelves: 2014, re-reads

It's hard for me to rate this story on its own when it is so connected to the next book. I did find myself reading it and going, "Ah, yes, this is part of the reason I prefer later Tortall and the Emelan universe." But it was her first series and it was cut into a quartet for YA readers after being an adult story, so I'll cut it some slack.

Oh Jon. I have been reminded why I stopped liking Jon and why I enjoy George. I can't believe how much I forgot this book, though: I remembered almost nothing in it. Made for an exciting read, at least! It was nice to settle down in one place for a while. I suppose I consider this to be Alanna's Gap Year after her big dramatic graduation. She deserved a gap year.

The exploration of sorcery and a new culture was interesting. Tried to remove myself from my modern-day "argh white savior who changes everything" mindset and appreciate the book as something that by nature has to be a bit dated within its time and author's knowledge. Fascinating to compare it to Emelan books, for instance.

I also forgot that this seems to be Alanna's weepy year. I'll give her a pass for that too, I think: she completed her life's dream of becoming a knight but in the process had to kill someone; her Big Secret was revealed in a way she really didn't expect or prepare for; her lover has turned into an obnoxious arrogant prick; her brother has turned into one as well and seems to be up to something pretty awful. Oh, and she's 19, which isn't exactly the Year of Emotional Stability in the lifespan of a human.

Time to order the next book!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Woman Who Rides Like a Man.

August 20, 2008 – Shelved
September 24, 2014 – Started Reading
October 8, 2014 – Shelved as: 2014
October 8, 2014 – Shelved as: re-reads
October 8, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Mothwing (new)

Mothwing I have to reread those, too, at some point! It's been what, 15 years? I hardly remember the Tortall universe.

Kiwi Mothwing wrote: "I have to reread those, too, at some point! It's been what, 15 years? I hardly remember the Tortall universe."
Oooh you should! They're quick reads, not many chapters each. I'm reading them slowly--buying each book in-between from an online used bookstore--so I'm not getting through them too quickly at the moment. I'm sure you could catch up!

Does that mean you've read the Emelan universe as well?! And if you did, did I already know that?

Anyway, yeah, doing a Tammy re-read of all her books. Feel free to join in! ♥