Shelley's Reviews > My Year of Rest and Relaxation

My Year of Rest and Relaxation by Ottessa Moshfegh

Reading this book about a privileged, beautiful young woman made me feel I was in a bit of daze myself, but without the gargantuan amounts of drugs the main character takes to keep herself in a similar state. Actually, she was trying to sleep for a year, but even when she was awake she wasn't truly conscious.

The unnamed narrator just wants a reboot, and for her that means a year of sleep. "Life was fragile and fleeting and one had to be cautious, sure, but I would risk death if it meant I could sleep all day and become a whole new person," she tells us.

This is a hard book to explain, and one could easily come away hating the narrator for squandering all her many gifts. But somehow, I didn't. I'm not really sure what I felt, other than I never lost interest in or patience with this troubled young woman. At times I even felt she might have a good idea there, constant sleep. But no, that's foolishness, especially the way she went about it. But it somehow seemed necessary for her, as way to find a continued path to existing, to coping.

I couldn't even say who this book is for. I think you just have to read it, and it either rings a bell for you or it doesn't. Which is true of all books, really. Why not grab your library card and give it a go?

I talk about books, life, and what's good on TV at Choco Wino's Magazine Wine Party.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Year of Rest and Relaxation.

December 5, 2019 – Started Reading