K's Reviews > The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao

The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Díaz

F 50x66
Much of my reading experience was spent wavering between loving and hating this book. I really couldn't decide how I felt about it.

On the positive side, I really admired the writing and the characterization. This was one book where I felt like I really knew the characters, and could totally visualize them and empathize with them. On the negative side, I had a lot of trouble getting into it. I found some of the lengthy footnotes annoying and distracting, and often felt alienated by all the Spanish. I also felt really saddened by a lot of the books' events and the characters' poor choices, and although there was a lot of black humor, there wasn't enough comic relief for me to mitigate my sadness at the characters' unfortunate circumstances. If you enjoy reading about Dominican immigrants escaping Trujillo and adjusting to America, I enjoyed "How the Garcia Girls Lost Their Accents" much more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao.