Tari's Reviews > Hems and Homicide

Hems and Homicide by Elizabeth Penney

bookshelves: netgalley, preordered, 2020-ebooks, 2020-i-spy

I can't believe I've never read anything by this author before, so I'm really glad I was able to read this book. When I looked at her bio page, I decided I'm going to have to check out some of the other cozies I saw there. This book was just awesome! The characters were a lot of fun, and I just loved Grammie, who was so young at heart that she liked hanging out with Iris and her friends. I don't think a girl could ask for better friends than Iris has. Madison was so funny and always up for adventure. Sophie and Bella were great too, both being business owners there in town. The girls' nights they had always sounded fun! Quincy was an awfully sweet cat--he seemed to love everyone and was there for comfort no matter who they were. Even the grumpiest person could find a little solace in good old Quince.

I loved that Iris refound her high school crush Ian, and it'll be sweet watching their relationship grow. The mystery was really good, a skeleton found in the basement where Iris and Grammie were opening an apron shop, and another current body. There were plenty of suspects and red herrings. I'd sort of guessed the killer but for the wrong person. The showdown was exciting, and I have to hand it to Iris for keeping her head during confrontations and thinking to phone police, do a recording or anything safe that sometimes other sleuths forget about.

It was great having a story wrapup too, all the pieces of the puzzle were explained and we even got more story too. I like when that happens and a story just doesn't end abruptly because the murder was explained. We got to finally see the shop's opening. And...there's even part of the first chapter of the next book which I can't wait for now that I've read the excerpt.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hems and Homicide.

December 5, 2019 – Shelved