Kristin 's Reviews > Out of the Ashes

Out of the Ashes by Lori Dillon

Apr 05, 2012

bookshelves: 2012, historical-romance, paranormal-romance, favorites

I was asked to review this book by the author. I thought it would be a fun romantic read but I had no clue that I would fall in love with this book from the very beginning.

The book starts off with a gladiator slave who is about to enter the arena where he will fight to the death. When he is about to be defeated and killed, there is a commotion in the stands of the arena. A young woman is pleading for his life to be spared and crazy enough the crowds seem to agree with her. His life is spared and he is able to live another day to fight in the arena. The young woman starts visiting the slave gladiator and they start to develop a friendship that is rapidly becoming something more but then Vesuvius erupts and their time together is cut short.

The story then changes to their guardian angels getting chewed out for allowing their charges to die before their time and are given a second chance by having their charges be reincarnated, and then again, and again. Until we get David and Sera. I was a little glad that the author didn't make us read about all of the failures but rather the first time these two spirits meet and then fast forward to the current time for the two characters which just so happens to be during WWII. Sera is an archaeologist digging up the remains of Pompeii and David is an American spy who happened to get a job as Sera's assistant but is really there to spy on the German camp that is practically in Sera's excavation site's backyard.

I must say that it was instantaneous love for me when I started reading about the gladiators. I am not a huge history buff but somethings do interest me and that is one of them. I loved Sera and David. Their characters just worked so well together. And Lori Dillon's writing was spot on for me. She gives you enough details to paint a picture in your head but leaves some of it to your imagination, which I love. She didn't get too heavy with the details weighing you down with too many words and distracting you from the story at hand.

I really enjoyed the author's note at the end that explained that she got the idea when she saw a National Geographic photograph of a plaster cast of a couple from Pompeii. The two died in each others arms and from that picture she imagined who the couple might have been and came up with Out of the Ashes. She did an amazing job with the story and I can't believe that this is a debut novel for her. I cannot wait to read more of her work.

Favorite part...
Sera and David's guardian angels are discussing all of their failures over trying to bring their two souls together with their boss.

"Apparently there was a typo on the relocation application for Male 2028."
"Really?"
"You see, he was supposed to return as a Hun on Horseback."
"And he was sent back as...?"
Marsha and Hershel glanced nervously at each other.
"A monk with a hunchback," Hershel mumbled as he sank lower in his chair.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Out of the Ashes.

message 1: by Suzie (new)

Suzie Quint Love the snippet. Nice to know even angels screw up.

Kristin Yeah I wasn't sure how I would react to the angel part since I'm getting burnt out on that scene but it was nicely done.