Christy's Reviews > Enrique's Journey: The Story of a Boy's Dangerous Odyssey to Reunite with His Mother

Enrique's Journey by Sonia Nazario

F 50x66
Apr 05, 2012

liked it
Read in April, 2012

Let me start by saying that I am not an avid reader of non-fiction. That being said, Enrique's Journey was a good introduction into non-fiction for me. I think they content of this book made me rethink my views on immigration, seeing it from a first-hand point of view made it more realistic and made me more sympathetic to the harsh reality that hundreds upon thousands take every year to find a safe haven, a job, family members or to escape harsh conditions they currently live in. What stood out to me was how persistant Enrique was, no matter how many times he was caught, deported, hurt or thrown off a train, he kept going back to try again.

I think this book would be a good book to introduce non fiction to a class of students, and to facilitate a discussion on issues such as immigration, journeys, and family relationships. The writing was a little bland for my taste and that's why I awarded it a score of 3, but all things considered, this was a good text to open up a discussion about real world conditions.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Enrique's Journey.

09/12 marked as: read