Anna's Reviews > Lost in Translation: An Illustrated Compendium of Untranslatable Words from Around the World

Lost in Translation by Ella Frances Sanders

196193

liked it
bookshelves: librarybooks

It was a cute little book with some interesting words. It was a bit hard to read with the definitions of the words in an open script that sometimes overlayed the illustrations. And the commentary preceding each word was in such a small (and white) font, it seems it would be hard to read for some.

I would have liked to see some kind of pronunciation guide. As it is, I was only guessing. Not that I will actually remember the words and start using them - except maybe KABELSALAT (German for A word to describe a mess of very tangled cables, literally a "cable-salad"), and that's only because I'm married to a sound guy who would be absolutely horrified if his cables became tangled in such a way.

The illustrations reminded me of a simple adult coloring book - already colored in. I think the book would have been much more fun if it actually WAS a coloring book, and the reader could color in the pictures. Of course, since this one is a library book, that wouldn't be such a good idea...

Updated to 3 stars (from 2) because I keep seeing these words and thinking about them ever since I finished reading through the book. I guess it made more of an impression than I originally thought.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lost in Translation.

December 4, 2019 – Started Reading