Margaret Adelle's Reviews > This Time

This Time by Azaaa Davis

When the author offered me a review copy, I was immediately intrigued by the premise. I'm always interested in the plots that involve an MC ending up somehow out of time and younger than their peers. And Nadira has that in spades. The emotional depth she feels in her struggles at being resurrected are intense. I felt for her on so many levels. It was your classic tale of a character raised to be a killer wanting more to life, but it didn't feel over the top in it's angst. Nadira is strong, confident, and capable in everything.

The various twists and turns in the story are also impressive. The answer to Nadira's childhood illness and the injections the Children of Orion's doctor always gave her were unexpected, but made sense and it gave the story a lot of extra depth. I was a bit sad to see that the Children of Orion weren't quite the found family I was hoping for, but then that's kind of the point.

There are some fantastic battles, with a lot of blood and a lot on the line. Nadira's got a kickass skill set and a trump card up her sleeve that I can't explain (cuz spoilers). Rest assured, the fight scenes were always entertaining.

The ending twist, which wasn't revealed until the literal last 2 words of the book, has me hooked. Azaaa Davis followed through on the previous twists beautifully, so I have to assume the next book in the series will be worth the read.

This is definitely a story focused on moral grayness and switching allegiances. If you want clear good/bad guys, this may not be the one for you. But if you like your morality themes messy, this is the perfect fit.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This Time.

December 3, 2019 – Shelved
December 3, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
January 5, 2020 – Started Reading
January 6, 2020 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Azaaa I am thrilled to know that you enjoyed my novel This Time and want to read more stories about Nadira the demon hunter! ^-^