Cheri's Reviews > Brave

Brave by Rose McGowan

1994963

liked it
bookshelves: 2019-reads, audio, biography-memoir

I'm not going to criticize McGowan for her feelings and actions because they belong to her and it certainly isn't my place to judge her. She makes a lot of good points and I agree with her on so much. I imagine if I were involved in the industry she is, I could have connected and cared more about the things related directly to it. As a molestation and sexual abuse survivor, I absolutely could relate to various instances and emotions she discussed and described.

I didn't really feel much connection to the author, even though she narrates the book, and was tempted to just stop listening several times. Again, I think this has more to do with not being able to relate to her problems dealing with Hollywood than her views. Well, I was put off by her regularly saying that no one would protect her. No one protects most of us, I think. No one ever protected me. Eventually, we have to protect ourselves.

Again, I'm not criticizing her journey because it's hers. I wouldn't want anyone to criticize or judge my experiences. I commend her for sharing and speaking out so loudly. McGowan will hopefully help more people understand privilege, misogyny, and sexual violence in its many forms.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Brave.

December 3, 2019 – Started Reading