Emily's Reviews > Moose: A Memoir of Fat Camp

Moose by Stephanie Klein

207973

Recommended for: Katie

It wasn't quite as spot on as Straight Up and Dirty, but I'm wondering, in retrospect, if that is because her honesty was oftentimes infuriating. But that's the point, I assume: to admit that when a friend addresses the question of weight (that of your twins in the NICU), to assume she is questioning yours; to admit to never being completely healthy once you've had disordered eating... ever; to be honest about being your most miserable at your skinniest, and your happiest when fat. While reading these pages, what I wanted to do most was scowl nastily at Stephanie behind her back, to avoid at all costs admitting the dreaded fact that I see myself in her. But in the end all I could do was admire her "love me or leave me alone" honesty in her writing and in her life.

Also, there's this:

"'You shouldn't wear a black bra under a white shirt, sweetie,' Jared lectured softly as I wiped his saliva from just above my upper lip. 'It's trashy.' Jared had a mullet, wore a thick gold necklace, and pronounced 'doing' as if it had no g. Apparently he was an authority.

Who the hell are you? I thought. It's not even a bra; it's a bathing suit--and I'm the girl. Don't you think I know I shouldn't wear black beneath white? You ass-munch. I was crazy about him."

These are the stellar bits that I loved in Straight Up and Dirty. My only real complaint about this book is that there weren't more of these.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Moose.

August 20, 2008 – Shelved