Russell Grant's Reviews > Donald Duck: Lost in the Andes

Donald Duck by Carl Barks

Apr 05, 2012

Read from April 05 to 11, 2012

I blind bought this one after having spent years hearing how amazing Carl Barks was and how great these stories are. In the annals of cartooning and comic books, few names are spoken more highly then Carl Barks and his work on Donald Duck comics.

It is all deserved.

The art is simple yet beautiful. The long form stories are fun, action pack adventures that are surprisingly thoughtful. The short stories are just as good and the single page gags are equally as strong. Donald is actually a nuanced character in these instead of the hot head from the cartoons, I can't think of a negative thing to say about this book.

This is the first of hopefully many volumes from Fantagraphics and they do their typical job of presentation. Everything from the intro and notes to the literal cover stock and paper is all top notch and perfectly presents the material. I avoided previous compilations since most of the nice ones were in black and white. These editions (I believe) have been re-coloured, but look absolutely authentic to what I would suspect they would of looked like on first publication. No modern touches has been given. Even their decision to start this with Volume 7 is a good choice. As much as I'm a stickler for chronological work, starting with volume one where Barks is figuring things out might of jeopardized the series. This volume features Barks firing on all cylinders, and supposedly on the cusp of getting even better. It's not like these stories all fit into a larger serial like a "Prince Valiant" or newspaper strip might. It's a great introduction to the work, coming from me were this is the introduction to his work.

I guess I found my negative: I want more and I have to wait for it.

So yeah, if you love tight adventure story telling that's suitable for all ages, this is for you. If you don't like this, you might not have a soul.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Donald Duck.