Stephen Hayes's Reviews > The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test

The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test by Tom Wolfe

bookshelves: history, non-fiction, society, tshwane-library

I probably should have read this book 50 years ago. I've known the title for a long time, but I never saw it before this month. I had read a couple of Tom Wolfe's novels, and from the blurbs in those I had become aware that he was the author of this book too, so I pictured it as being like them, a fictional novel about fictional characters. So I was rather surprised to see that it was actually a documentary about Ken Kesey and the Merry Pranksters, whom I had known had played a role in the rise of the hippies, though precisely what role I did not realise until I read this book.

So, having read it, I think I should have read it 50 years ago. I knew vaguely that Kesey and the Merry Pranksters had toured around North America in a brightly painted bus, but that was about it. I'd read one of Ken Kesey's novels, but not been particularly impressed. I had known that the hippies of the 1960s were a more colourful outgrowth of the Beats of the 1940s and 1950s, but had not realised how deeply involved Neal Cassady was involved in the Merry Pranksters (he drove the bus), even though I had read biographies of him. So it tied up a few links of literary and cultural history for me.

As I often do, I've added more comments on my blog From Beats to hippies: the Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test | Khanya.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test.

December 3, 2019 – Started Reading