cheryl's Reviews > An Uncommon Education

An Uncommon Education by Elizabeth Percer

F 50x66
Apr 05, 2012

liked it

This novel, provided to me in advance reader's edition, follows Naomi Feinstein from girlhood into her young adult years. As a girl, she longs to connect with her mother but is close with her father who instills in her the desire to attend Wellesley and become a doctor. Naomi is a lonely child, with only one intense friendship that comes to a sudden end. Most of the book focuses on Naomi's years at Wellesley where she gets involved with Shakes, a group steeped in tradition and that attracts some complex members. Her college years leave Naomi more uncertain about her future and searching for who she really wants to become.

I really enjoyed the first third of this book, the part focused on Naomi's pre-college years. I did not, however, enjoy her years at Wellesley. I had trouble following the many characters she encounters and understanding the nature of the Shakes organization. I could understand Naomi eventually questioning the plans she had as a child, but the way the doubt was developed didn't feel real. I kept hoping that the strong characters development in the first third would return, but it just didn't. Some pages just straight out confused me and I just stopped caring about Naomi and didn't develop an interest in the people she meets in college. Three stars overall though I'd give four stars to the first third.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Uncommon Education.